Do away with Daylight Saving Time? less evening jetski time?

quoted FromTALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — "A state senator from Brevard County is proposing a bill to get rid of daylight saving time in Florida

Republican Senator Bill Posey says the practice of changing clocks twice a year affects the body's “equilibrium” and is an annoyance that can be avoided.

A Senate committee on governmental operations favored the bill four to one. It faces two more committee votes before the full Senate would take it up. There is no similar legislation in the House.

Senator Jim King believes the extra hour of daylight is worth the aggravation of changing clocks twice a year because it adds an extra hour of sunshine.

Only Hawaii and parts of Arizona do not observe daylight savings time."

THIS is what our Florida tax dollars go towards stupid bill proposals like this ! :smashfreakB:

WAB

salty nuts
Can't we just make it sunny daylight 24hrs a day?? :poke:

My fav time of year is when we get the hr of daylight back in the spring.

wayne

wannaroll
quoted FromTALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — "A state senator from Brevard County is proposing a bill to get rid of daylight saving time in Florida

Republican Senator Bill Posey says the practice of changing clocks twice a year affects the body's “equilibrium” and is an annoyance that can be avoided.

A Senate committee on governmental operations favored the bill four to one. It faces two more committee votes before the full Senate would take it up. There is no similar legislation in the House.

Senator Jim King believes the extra hour of daylight is worth the aggravation of changing clocks twice a year because it adds an extra hour of sunshine.

Only Hawaii and parts of Arizona do not observe daylight savings time."

THIS is what our Florida tax dollars go towards stupid bill proposals like this ! :smashfreakB:

part of indiana and michigan do not observe the daylight savings change either.

Snackem

Danger Zone
Either make it lighter later all year or go to a world wide 24 hour clock. So when it's 8:00 in NY it's 8:00 in OR, England and everywhere else.

guiness92

▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
If they do away with it, doesnt that mean that we will LOSE an hour of daylight in the summer???? If so they can stick that bill up their ass. If it gives us more daylight in the summer than I say go for it.

keefer

T1
If you do not observe DST then you would lose an hour of light in the evening. I say leave it DST all the time and keep that extra light.

There has been some debate as to whether DST actually causes any real reduction in energy usage as it was originally designed to do back in the 60s when it all started.

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
The hell with that idea. I usually can't wait for DST primarily because I can ride after work. If they do away with it, I am going to be in a deep depression.

keefer

T1
You are right, I was thinking of when they actually made it into law in the 60s by creating the Uniform Time Act.

[SIZE=-1]The Uniform Time Act[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By 1966, some 100 million Americans were observing Daylight Saving Time based on their local laws and customs. Congress decided to step in and end the confusion, and to establish one pattern across the country. The Uniform Time Act of 1966 (15 U.S. Code Section 260a) [/SIZE][SIZE=-1][see law], signed into Public Law 89-387 on April 12, 1966, by President Lyndon Johnson, created Daylight Saving Time to begin on the last Sunday of April and to end on the last Sunday of October. Any State that wanted to be exempt from Daylight Saving Time could do so by passing a state law.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Uniform Time Act of 1966 established a system of uniform (within each time zone) Daylight Saving Time throughout the U.S. and its possessions, exempting only those states in which the legislatures voted to keep the entire state on standard time.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In 1972, Congress revised the law to provide that, if a state was in two or more time zones, the state could exempt the part of the state that was in one time zone while providing that the part of the state in a different time zone would observe Daylight Saving Time. The Federal law was amended in 1986 to begin Daylight Saving Time on the first Sunday in April. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Under legislation enacted in 1986, Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. began at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of April and ended at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday of October.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The Energy Policy Act of 2005 extended Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. beginning in 2007, though Congress retained the right to revert to the 1986 law should the change prove unpopular or if energy savings are not significant. Going from 2007 forward, Daylight Saving Time in the U.S.[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=-1][/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
  • begins at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday of March and
  • ends at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of November
    [/SIZE]
You can read more than you prolly want to know about DST here. http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/e.html

Top Bottom