Other Does nobody use anti-seize?!?!?!?!

Alright, a little bit of venting. I have been working on two skis that I got used and nobody used any grease on any threads anywhere. I have had the same stuff happen with other skis as well. I'm in the middle of trying to take the handle bar clamps off and I need to break out the blowtorch, and even that isn't doing anything. Seriously, how much effort does it take to slobber some silver jizz on a thread when reassembling so stuff doesn't get corroded to hell?

Rant over.

Haha, I like using marine grease more and just started using after fighting some troubled bolts. I bought a three pack of smaller tubes so I can throw on in the tool chest for the road.

I like the grease a little more than anti-sieze. The Anti-sieze in the past makes a mess sometimes and then everything you touch gets infected lol. I generally use a brush to put it on but poop sometimes it gets on your fingers and just spreads!

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
lol, i would put anti seize on surf boats. but i don't on my fresh water skis. but my stuffs disassembled to 100 pieces every winter. so i dont really have any troubles. when i worked in the dealership i can recall being in your same boat when people brought their nasty ass couches in to get fixed though. good rant.

Haha, I like using marine grease more and just started using after fighting some troubled bolts. I bought a three pack of smaller tubes so I can throw on in the tool chest for the road.

I like the grease a little more than anti-sieze. The Anti-sieze in the past makes a mess sometimes and then everything you touch gets infected lol. I generally use a brush to put it on but poop sometimes it gets on your fingers and just spreads!

110% right, sometimes I feel like the friggin tin man after using it, but when I have to take my pump apart after riding in 100% salt for a whole season, I could care less.

JT_Freeride

John Tetenes @Jtetenes
I used to never use anti seize on anything until I got into jet sking I would break bolts and motor mounts left and right now every bolt that comes out of my ski gets anti seize. Ps anything you touch in my ski will result in your hands looking like the tin man.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Used blue and red loctite for years and switched over to Lucas a few years ago after my first a/m hull.l mostly run fresh water but several trips a year to the surf.l pulled an engine and all down in the areas you can't wash or get too l found places that salt deposits had been.So l started then to use grease on most of the bolts.l go over my skis after most rides with nothing loose.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 140

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I used to use loctite on everything but I cold seized a brand new bolt that had nothing on the threads (Was just putting in and removing for mock up, then was going to loctite before it went in the water). Since then I use anti-seize on everything except the stuff that needs loctite. Antiseize is just easier.

Its all about the surf!

Kurt, Kurt, Kurt, my Salt water Padawan friend! I've been preaching Anti Seize for salt water skis on here for years. When people come on here and whine about how its messy Anti Seize is, I just sigh and shake my head. Anti Seize isn't any messier than Marine grease. IT IS harder to clean up though, but that's the very reason it works so well, it's that much harder for the salt water to break it down and wash it away. Anti seize simply lasts way longer than Marine grease (Or anything else I've tried). I'm not trying to get into it with anyone by saying my way is better than yours, I'm just sharing what has worked the best for me from my own personal experience. Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING, and as a 10yr Oceanside local who's ski has never even been in fresh water, my advice is to use Anti Seize, and deal with the mess, you'll be glad you did.

Kurt, Kurt, Kurt, my Salt water Padawan friend! I've been preaching Anti Seize for salt water skis on here for years. When people come on here and whine about how its messy Anti Seize is, I just sigh and shake my head. Anti Seize isn't any messier than Marine grease. IT IS harder to clean up though, but that's the very reason it works so well, it's that much harder for the salt water to break it down and wash it away. Anti seize simply lasts way longer than Marine grease (Or anything else I've tried). I'm not trying to get into it with anyone by saying my way is better than yours, I'm just sharing what has worked the best for me from my own personal experience. Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING, and as a 10yr Oceanside local who's ski has never even been in fresh water, my advice is to use Anti Seize, and deal with the mess, you'll be glad you did.

No one rides the surf more than you, alright. You sold me. Im start using my anti-sieze more often.

I don't plan on taking anything else apart for a while after my last tear down. (fingers crossed)

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Salt is lock-tite.
I use never sieze on everything. I even paint my trailer lugs with it. Yes, it gets everywhere, but it's better than breaking things when trying to do simple maint.
Freshwater riders rightly do things a bit differently. I have an old bottle of loc-tite....(7 years old or so..) I try to keep it as far away from my ski as possible. lol.

I'm working on assembling an engine this week for fresh water only. What should I use on each major component (anti-seize, marine grease, red or blue loctite, RTV silicone)?

Please add your recommendation to the list when replying:
Case:
Bed Plate:
Intake:
Cylinder:
Head (girdled):
Ignition Cover:
Starter:
Flywheel:
Stator:

Christian_83

Xscream
I use aqua shield, user working with it on the ROV's i worked on, btilliant stuff. 1 years work with the ROV, and all bolts and nuts comes nice off again, same story with my ski.
If you dont know that stuff, you should try it. Best marine antiseize stuff i have tried.

Alright, a little bit of venting. I have been working on two skis that I got used and nobody used any grease on any threads anywhere. I have had the same stuff happen with other skis as well. I'm in the middle of trying to take the handle bar clamps off and I need to break out the blowtorch, and even that isn't doing anything. Seriously, how much effort does it take to slobber some silver jizz on a thread when reassembling so stuff doesn't get corroded to hell?

Rant over.
Im sure it was more lack of knowledge than lazyness. How many jetski owners are trained mechanics or engineers? How many acquire and read a shop manual before they start turning bolts? Its really sad when a MFG (polaris) omits sealant on fasteners.

Top Bottom