First ski

Looking at an 87 650sx currently which is in great condition aside that it does need a top end. Is this good for a first ski? Also looked at the wiseco top end kit to rebuild it. Been riding motocross my whole life an this looks super fun. If I can get this thing and running for under a grand is it worth it?

Magyar68

Really!!!
As a starter, for under a thousand not bad. but in your case since you have been doing Motocross the Superjet may be a better fit. Its more like ridding a Dirt Bike... IMO

Stock 650's in good shape are worth in the range of $500 to $700 depending on where you live. If your looking at spending around a grand you might be able to find a 750sx ( $1200 to $1600) or a even a Superjet ($1400 to $1700, squarenose)for that much. If you haven't bought it yet keep your eyes open for other deals possibly. Also I would look at a pro-x top end for it also, it will be cheaper and typically cast pistons suit jetski engines better.

stagesrt4

see ya out there
Site Supporter
A 650sx is about the easiest standup to ride

A good/reliable first ski for sure

But don't expect high speeds or any freestyle tricks outta her

Also Kawasaki motor parts are very common n fairly priced

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
650sx isn't easier to ride than anything else. The sx just fcomes stock with a very short pole compared to a Superjet. Makes it much easier to get your weight forward.

If you have the funds, I would start with a Superjet. If you want to race, the. A 750sd is a good starter ski but not as versitle.

I dont think a superjet rides like a dirt bike at alll. If thats what your after and X2 is the closest thing to wa dirt bike on water. IMO

The 650sx are a great beginner ski and kawasaki 650 motor parts are easy to come by. Austin is dead on with the prices that are in my area (OHIO).

Are you postive the crank is ok? Did you pull it and inspect the bearings?

Lmfao, best thread ever. If you race motocross don't buy any jet ski with a seat, theyre about as cool as riding quads lol. Ride whatever you can find in your price range, who knows if you will even like it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I come from a life of motocross. I was a A rider a few years ago and going into my 3rd season of stand ups. The Mx background only helped with balls to try things that's it haha. It's nothing like mx. But don't let that scare you it's still equally as addicting and fun.

I started on a 750sxi. Then went to a 650 super jet ( for $1200 and it was mint ) now if I could do it again i strongly say go straight to super jets. Yamaha motors and hulls are far far more fulfilling. I'd say look for a local deal on a square nose super jet ( I don't know your budget ) but if you have a 3k go right to a round nose.

I sold my old skis an got a 2013 Sj then started to realize I was ready to learn rolls and upside down attempts. I out grew the ski fast sadly....before hurting it I picked up a rickter. Which I improved fast to landing rolls, now gotta master a flip.

Bottom line get a good solid ski to start, don't make the mistake of going through them like chicks at a bar. And put in the hours of ride time to evolve on your own before going mod crazy lol. You'll love the sport. I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never could get used to skis with poles. It never made sence to me, the bars going up n down. The skis most like riding a motorcycle is a X2 or a blaster.

Top Bottom