Other First Time Buyer --- Need some suggestions

I'm looking to purchase a ski and get into the stand up game. I'm looking for alittle direction in what to purchase. I've never ridden a stand up but I am not new to powersport and watersports. I hope to get into freestyle eventually. So what do you guys think would be a good fit for my first ski? I live in Indiana and am spending the summer in Nebraska on an internship so looks like lake riding will make up most of my ride time. I'm 6'3" 220 pounds and I'm use to riding an 2012 RXP-X 260 so some horsepower would be nice. Price range peaks in the $2,500 range and would like to spend less but its all about the deal. Your input is appreciated!

I would look for a 96 or newer superjet (the "round nose" or RN). You may need to spend a little more, but it will be worth it. I have a 98 and a 99, wouldn't think of owning anything else besides maybe a very expensive aftermarket ski.

Last edited:
the last one, the modded SN, that is a pretty good start right there, has a 701, has a bunch of nice mods, and you can probably get his price down another few hundred too.

You better make your mind fast, someone else on here is gonna scoop those from under you... always happens.

Welcome, Josh or can I call you Mr Fear. Just kidding these guys are steering you in the right direction for sure.

Most important part is be patient but be ready act fast.

save the cash.. a SN would be a good ski, and you can get one with some decent mods for your price range. to me, power means more than looks. for $2500 you are going to get a RN with some, probably no mods done to it. focus on power then looks.

I listed the others because i wanted your input on how they would be as far as a first ski is concerned. I am sold on the superjet 96 or newer as far as freestyle is concerned but I hoped to get riding soon and found the others. Would those be good first skis that would hold up long enough for me to learn then maybe later resell when I have the skills to move on to freestyle? What are your guys thoughts as far as power, reliability, resell value, and overall fun to ride on the above skis? How do the stack up as far as deals go? Or would I be better off saving my money waiting for the long haul and snatching that dream RN SJ when she pokes her head up?

the only difference between a roundnose and a squarenose is the top deck looks. they both handle the same, just one is cheaper because it doesnt look as nice. buy the 701 SN that you listed up there, see if he will go down on price.. all you would need to make that a good freestyle ski is footholds until you have more skills

save the cash.. a SN would be a good ski, and you can get one with some decent mods for your price range. to me, power means more than looks. for $2500 you are going to get a RN with some, probably no mods done to it. focus on power then looks.

So are you saying I shouldn't buy the 701 SN or I should?

you should. it will have more power than a RN for the price, and will make a good ski for you. last year i was starting off in freestyle and had a 1990 SN bone stock 650.. now i have a SN with a 701 and a b pipe, and it works great for a freestyle ski.. its all you need! go for the square.

I don't mind the SN look and wouldn't mind the winter project to beautify it but do you think I should trust someone elses transplant? I'm mechanically inclined but am starting at square one (pardon the pun) with up right rides. I have been drooling over the thought of stand ups for a long time and I don't think I could handle a break down keeping the ski on the trailer without my head exploding.

Didn't realize that the market was that cut throat. I realize they are somewhat rare and in demand, especially here but they must really move fast.

Well on the bright side if nothing else was accomplished at least I got my 7 posts in or whatever the magic number is so atleast I can PM someone if I spot a good deal

I'm constantly driving from Indiana to Nebraska so if anyone spots a great beginner ski for a good price and wants to pass it on let me know! Not afraid to drive

Thanks to everyone for the info! Appreciate you guys helping out the new guy!

Top Bottom