SX/SXi/SXi Pro Fitting a Super Jet RN pole to SXI hull conversion

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
I couldn't find a write up on fitting a RN hand pole to a Kawi 750 sx, sxi, or sxi pro hull. So here goes. Start with a stock RN pole (thanks to Aqua for the hook up)

Stock RN pole.jpg

First I cut about 1/4" off the bottom tip of the pole. Placed in a chop saw squared up makes a nice clean cut.

RN pole first cut.jpg

After that was removed you need to grind a little off the corners. Rounding the corners help to match the contour of the factory pole bracket.

RN pole after grinding.jpg

Inside the stock pole bracket there is a nub that needs to be ground down so the RN pole can have full movement all the way up. Before grinding

sxi pole bracket Remove this.jpg

After grinding

sxi pole bracket After grinding.jpg

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
After all the grinding you should be able to turn the bracket all the way around the pole. Ta Da!!!! I won't be reusing the stock rubber pole stop on the sxi bracket. I'll be using a piece of Hydro-Turf instead and also using a limiting strap.

It works.jpg

Now its time to take my plans to my buddy that works at a machine shop to turn out some one piece bushings to take up the space left over from the RN pole being narrower than the sxi pole in the bracket. Washers can be used to get the same outcome.

Need new bushings.jpg

Last edited:

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
Thanks Dirtybird

Here is a small update. I got my steering plate today in the mail. Thanks Yamaha415. I took it straight to the sandblast cabinet and got all the ugly olive drab green off so I can repaint it black.

Seems the difference between Yamaha and Kawasaki is the steering hookup is on the opposite sides of each other. So after the sand blasting I drilled a 3/16" hole on the opposite side of the stock yamaha steering. Then I ran a 6mm x 1.0p tap to fit the stock Kawasaki steering ball. So far so good. Tomorrow night I will fit the steering cable inside the hand pole and look to see how it will route to the left side of the pole.

8 SJ steering drilled and tapped.jpg

9 Steering ball fitted.jpg

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
to give you some increase the steering ratio you can build a little extension plate that extends out the side of the stock steering plate.

I thought about doing that but side by side with my Kawi shortened turn plate it matches the middle cable mount hole. If I need more throw I can always add a bracket to move the mount out to get more throw. Once its ridden and tested I decide if it needs more.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
I thought about doing that but side by side with my Kawi shortened turn plate it matches the middle cable mount hole. If I need more throw I can always add a bracket to move the mount out to get more throw. Once its ridden and tested I decide if it needs more.

there you go. sounds good. easy enough to add an extension plate later.

RN SJ Pole on a Kawi 750sx

So my friend told me I should use a SJ pole cause i wanted a new one so I spent about 2 hours and here are the results I will post up a pic later of the bar mounted I never got around to taking a finished pic

l_b48d39471034231144b97ec4e966b803.jpg

l_741762e226dccfb4ca4c3712601618bc.jpg

[/IMG]
l_fff52d77fb5327fd78b9ea1f8926108a.jpg

D-Roc

I forgot!
sxi's look awesome with the yami pole. is that steering cable crossing over to the opposite side of the turn plate? won't that reverse your steering?

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
Kawis steering cable goes on the left side. Yamahas are on the right.

Looks good I haven't gotten around to finish mine yet. Too many small projects to work on all at once. I started to shorten my RN pole but haven't finished that yet either.

So my friend told me I should use a SJ pole cause i wanted a new one so I spent about 2 hours and here are the results I will post up a pic later of the bar mounted I never got around to taking a finished pic

l_b48d39471034231144b97ec4e966b803.jpg

l_741762e226dccfb4ca4c3712601618bc.jpg

[/IMG]
l_fff52d77fb5327fd78b9ea1f8926108a.jpg

What a good friend you have :biggrin:

We need to get that cable holder mounted to the other side.... looks like something bad waiting to happen. But I guess you do have three spare cables now. :fing02:

I did this same conversion last summer, love it!!!

-2 RN custom painted (by previous owner) stock pole and chin pad
TBM Turnplate

Before - AC Handlepole (yuck)

And After

Attachments

• jag&misc 124.jpg
    jag&misc 124.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG00068.jpg
    IMG00068.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG00069.jpg
    IMG00069.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG00070.jpg
    IMG00070.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_7655.JPG
    IMG_7655.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 341
Using these instructions I was able to get it done pretty easily. I just need to work on a good steering cable mount...

Attachments

• 0831091714.jpg
    0831091714.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 287
Top Bottom