Footstrap location input wanted

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
I have some Dakine straps I am installing, but i'm not sure on location. It seems most install them in the rear bend. I'm 5'8" and am wondering if that's too far back... I mainly ride lakes, and my feet are normally flat, with my heels at the base of the bend. Once in a while I get them back, but not as much as flat. Thoughts?

Thanks fellas
Jay

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Thanks. I'm probably going to mount them forward of the bend, with my heel at the bend. I haven't had the chance to ride it in rough water yet. (can't wait for that!) Just wondering where others are running them, what kind of riding they do, and placement. A buddie has them in the bend, but he's taller... I can always move them back later.

Superjetter_95

Looking to the sky
I am about 5' 8" as well, and i have mine mounted right before the slope at the back of the footwells. it works out well, but its more on personal preference. go and ride and pay attention to where your feet sit for the most part and where its comfortable to stand. As far as mounting goes, you want to have a backing plate of stainless, or aluminum. I used a piece of 1/8" aluminum with six stainless lock nuts and bolts. Those things wont budge at all with all that holding them down. When you mount them you also have to dig out a good portion of the styrofoam underneath the mounting area (4-5") I used one of the flat drill attachments for making large holes in wood and that tore through the foam pretty quick.

Hope this helps some, Good luck! :biggthumpup:

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Charlie. I'm jealous as hell of you lately. Your weather and water are awesome down there. Ours has been suckin. Thanks for the great vids of the rides.

Back on topic. I'm basically doing what Superjetter did. I'm backing them with 1/4" x 2" aluminum and tapping it for 1/4" stainless bolts, then locknutting the bolts also. I'll do pics and post, so everyone can laugh and point the finger lol...

I may ride tomorrow... Fingers crossed.

Superjetter_95

Looking to the sky
Once you get the right mounting place, the actual mounting process doesnt take more than an hours time. just be prepared for some uncomfortable positions to mount them correctly. here is a picture of where i have mine mounted. they are in between my normal lake ride stance and my surf stance. Worked out well when i went out and started practicing my rolls :barrel:

Attachments

• Blaster Strap2.jpg
    Blaster Strap2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Blaster Strap.jpg
    Blaster Strap.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 41

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Thanks for the pics and input.

Installed them last night, and am happy with them. Hopefully get to ride this afternoon and test them out. Supposed to have 25mph winds, so hopefully the lake will be a little rough.

Materials used were 2" x 1/4" aluminum cut to 7.5" in length.
1/4" x 1" stainless button head bolts.
1/4" stainless nylock nuts.
Dakine Supremo straps.
Blue Loctite.

First I cut the aluminum down to 7.5"

Measured the distance for strap mounting points. 6.75"

Drilled and tapped 6 holes in each backing plate, for the 1/4" 20 bolts.

Placed the backing plate where the straps are to be mounted and transfered the hole pattern to the ski.

Drilled the holes in the ski.

That was the easy part lol...

On the left side of the ski I have no foam, due to changing the ex, so that was pretty easy.
Blue Loctited the bolts into the backing plate and backed up the outside bolts with nylock nuts. Not enough room inbetween the outers for the center to get a backing nut.

The right side I cheated on and used a fatty screwdriver and a long 3/8" extension to get a gap between the hull and foam, to get the backing plate and hardware installed.

That's about it... Here's a couple pics of the process. I'm no machinist, that's for sure, but I think it will be fine. I didn't do any inside hull pics, cuz my camera was being a beeotch and was having focus and flash issues.

Attachments

• P5080014.jpg
    P5080014.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P5070008.jpg
    P5070008.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 40
  • P5070002.jpg
    P5070002.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P5070006.jpg
    P5070006.jpg