Other Front foothold preference- Tomski or Pancake Pete

Its all about the surf!
Not trying to start a battle, just curious why you like/dislike yours- Pros, Cons of each.

IMO Pancake Pete's is more ergonomic but I went with Tomski's because its thinner so it leaves more open dash space for stuff like bilge pump exits or hood strap and pole limiter attachment points. Also it's a bolt on install so it can be removed easily. In my case It also helped that Tom is a close friend so he hooked me up.

What's your thoughts?

DSC09784.jpg

DSC09785.jpg

DSC09786.jpg

DSC09787.jpg

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
Nice FX! You should post up how you modified the PP FH to do that- great idea!

He did post it up in his build... I am too lazy to go dig for it. I keep telling myself I am going to do the same with my PPFFH.

AtomicPunk

Site Supporter
On the PPFFH I wish it was a little lower for a more snug fit. I have 8mm padding on the underside and may try 25mm. I suppose I could try mounting it lower too.

TOM21 has a nice front foot hold too.

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
i had both of them and i agree PPs looks like it could be factory but the fact that i had to trim the living :):):):) out of the thing to even get it close to fitting, then drill holes, then turf the thing... that was such a PITA took a full day. i got toms for my rickter. it came turfed with padding on the bottom and was ready to install as soon as he gave it to me.... i got it in pismo and had it installed in 10 mins....THAT was nice.

now i run foot straps....

For big surf the tow rope should be around your waist and have quick connects, time is of essence...

Yes the PPFFH needs to be lowered or pad added, I have one...it seems to me that if you run a rear strap near the very back(anti pearl) then any FFH is too far forward and you may as well run a strap up front instead of the the FFH ? anyone agree ?

Last edited:

AtomicPunk

Site Supporter
Yes the PPFFH needs to be lowered or pad added, I have one...it seems to me that if you run a rear strap near the very back(anti pearl) then any FFH is too far forward and you may as well run a strap up front instead of the the FFH ? anyone agree ?

I like riding Pat's ski with the foot strap up front...

Sorry...I'm a bad reference for this I guess.....I don't use foot holds or straps anywhere in my tray. I like the front hold for storage and it gives me some feedback on where I am in the tray......I'm all over the tray when I ride and never, ever lock into anything.

What did you use as a hinge and the clasp?[/QUOTE

The latch is the stock FX-1 latch from the plastic crap glove box thing the factory put in the tray. It works perfect for this applcation and they're only 10 bux from Yamaha. As far as hinge, I use a short section (about 3.5") of aluminum piano hinge. You can get the hinge material from McMaster-Carr.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
What did you use as a hinge and the clasp?

I had the TOM21 FFH w/extinguisher holder, but never got installed in the ski it was going to go in. BUT the hinging part of the door was just the turf as the hinge, one full piece glued to the door section and cut around the sections.

I really like the PP FFH Modded door.. That is a great idea for a tow rope location! Like Jump On It said, for surf the rope needs to be a quick access thing in those conditions, but for the river and lakes, that is a great place for a longer one... Wish I had that a couple weeks ago when I had to tow a friends SXR 2 mi back up the river, his short rope was just long enough to make it a slow journey..

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
I never really liked my PPFFH. For starters, it's not even symetrical. It fit poorly, and required a lot of grinding and glassing. It was a good idea, just poorly executed. Cheap materials (chop strand matte and polyester resin) and kinda thin. Needing a lot of padding for fit wasn't a big deal, but an oversight IMO.

Top Bottom