Fuel delivery Problem

I've looked but cant seem to find anything. Tried starting my ski and i've boiled it down to the carb not getting fuel to the cylinders. I put fuel in the carb by blowing through the return line, so i know the lines are clear. I've felt for the pulse from the case line and there's puffs coming off of that. I've tried it with a carb that i rebuilt, and worked before i tore it down, and i also tried it with an extra carb that came off of a running ski. Not really sure what to check next, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I don't believe so. Its an 87 js440, and i have the fuel line coming out of the separator into the fuel inlet, which i believe is correct.

Just run all lines straight from tank to carbs, get ride of all that junk in between (fuel seperator, reserve, and fuel on/off) just run a fuel filter thats all you need.

X8Fy9Qol.jpg

dkLrFGhl.jpg

oMkFmJCl.jpg

Here are some pictures. I went out and messed with it again. I poured a little fuel in the carb and covered it with my hand and it fire up. I then backed the low speed screw out and i got it to idle somewhat well. It would also respond to throttle input. Waited half an hour and went out there to see if it would do it again, and it would not. I poured a little down the throat and did the same thing, but this time if i opened the throttle any it would die. The choke flapper is stuck open too. Im very new at tuning carbs so im kind of lost. Also, what is that nipple on the top right side of the carb. A nipple for a primer? Also, am i able to put a throttle drum on this style carb? Its from an older full circle motor, while my ski is an 87. The original carb has just a bolt keeping it on, while this one im not sure how to get off.

It must be the fuel lines. I ran a line straight from the carb to a cup of gas and it ran and idled fine. which ports on the gas tubes are should i run straight to the carb, and can i just unhook the old lines and leave them in the ski? I don't feel like taking all that out with the motor in there. THanks.

That nipple is for a primer and it would be best to have one. For some 440s, once installed all you need to do is prime the engine then feather the throttle lightly till the carb starts releasing fuel. This is most likely caused by a leak somewhere in the system. To run a straight line to the tank, disconnect the fuel line from the back of the filter and connect the reserve line to it, bypassing the selector. As for the throttle cable, a circle drum probably wont fit as it is made for an sbn. The 38 bn carb needs a straight wire with no bolt. 44 Bns need the bolt. I have an older 440 cable for sale if you need it.

Alrighty thanks! I had the old carb off my motor, and i thought it was a 38 bn, but it has the wire with the bolt. Guess ill check that one. I may be interested in your cable.

38bn had a bolt cable.44bn had a barrel end on cable
yours is 38 bn.
try running a line directly to either the regular or reserve outlet on tank .you may also want to check the fuel pickup tubes were they are glued to the flange.
the nipple is for the oem rev limiter which sometimes is needed to create back pressure in the return fuel line.it can however be disconnected at the carb and you can use the nipple for a primer.

Last edited:
BnTpmo9l.jpg

JhChQxtl.jpg

Here's the carb that came with the ski. It was on a motor that was 50 over and had a aftermarket head. But it's definatly another 38BN

I tore out all the old fuel line and now the ski is running great! Quick question though. I put a bulb type primer on it, but it doesn't seem to work. I put a tee in the return line to the primer, and then a line from the primer to the nipple on the carb, but no fuel is being sucked to the primer. Do i need to put the return line on the other pickup from the tank, so it can suck out of the tank? Or how should i do this?

with the tee in the return line,the primer will suck air from the tank or if you're lucky enough there will be gas left in the line that it may suck but??
best place is to put the tee on reserve line coming from tank.

JamesG

Site Supporter
If you haven't already, take the carbs apart and rebuild them with genuine mikuni kits (no a/m crap). Most importantly while rebuilding, clean everything with carb cleaner and take the jets out and spray the f*** out of them to make sure they are clean. Even 1 drop of water or 1 grain of sand can give you trouble.

Edit: Just saw that you got it running! Congrats!

Ahh man I just tossed a straight throttle cable thinking it was useless, because both of my skis have barrel end cables (38 and 44). I thought the previous owner had just cut the barrel off.

I need to learn to keep this stuff around so I can give it away when someone needs it. newb mistake.

Glad you got it running! I run my primer from the reserve line also.

I'm one of the few who still use the fuel selector despite the risk. Haven't had any problems with it YET... but since I ride in the ocean the reserve is kinda nice to have... sometimes I have too much fun and forget how long I've been riding... saved my butt from a long swim a couple of times now.

I hate those carbs, anything is better, but the sbn 44 is awesome and theres a ton of them out there. Just grab some spacers off ebay and punch out!

Top Bottom