Gel coat vs painting hull bottom

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
I just sanded the bottom of my hull. Had some real bad gouges and scrapes. Most of the original finish was long gone. I sanded with an orbital sander and removed most of the small and med depth scratches. Want to fill the gouges. What's the best way to fill and smooth the bottom of the hull. I was planning on gel coating the bottom. I do beach the ski some, but never in real rough areas. Painting is the easiest fix, but I still want to smooth out the bottom of hull. Suggestions welcome.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I have used thickened epoxy (laminating epoxy + glass microballons + filler) before. I used a drywall knife to spread it, then sanded it.
I have also used a layer of glass on the bottom before, but I prefer the thickened epoxy.

Pablo

Site Supporter
Thin layer of gelcoat is self leveling and pretty tough. Easiest option IMHO.

True on the gelcoat being self leveling and easiest to apply. I want to get the bottom smooth. I've sanded enough, just want to fill the gouges. Can you apply gelcoat ontop of gelcoat. Say, paint the gouges with a coat or two of gelcoat and sand...then apply a final coat. Don't know if you can reapply gelcoat in multiple coats and if you can what is the time recommendations for applying successive coats.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
West marine gelcoat has directions on the can dillweed. It says something like wait 72 hrs and sand it. I don't remember exactly. Why you gotta question a brutha? Come look at my ski. I put two coats on it.

Oh, I just heard there is a GSW and a finger reattachment heading your way. Have a good night. Ha Ha!

Last edited:

Pablo

Site Supporter
West marine gelcoat has directions on the can dillweed. It says something like wait 72 hrs and sand it. I don't remember exactly. Why you gotta question a brutha? Come look at my ski. I put two coats on it.

Oh, I just heard there is a GSW and a finger reattachment heading your way. Have a good night. Ha Ha!

Good...you got some gel coat? Give it to a brotha'. Ur gonna need to work some more FL to help me fund this build.
How's the pink eye? Forgot to tell you I spray farted on your locker lock...that prolly gave it to you.:bananalama:

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Nope, I used it all on Brande's. Pink eye got me two days off for the price of one. Did some fiberglass work today, how about you?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Yes you can apply gelcoat on top of gelcoat,you will need to sand with at least 220 grit,I personally prefer 80 grit to give the new gelcoat some extra tooth .

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Gelcoat is incompatable with SMC,I suppose you coud lay down some Duratec polyester primer and gelcoat on top of that,but you bond would only be as good as the bond of the primer to the hull.

Pablo

Site Supporter
Nope, I used it all on Brande's. Pink eye got me two days off for the price of one. Did some fiberglass work today, how about you?

I was the 11 o'clock at work. Got lucky and left @ 8, but got no work done on ski. Got my TL today though.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
It's been a year and multiple beachings after putting west marine gelcoat on my rn hull bottom. It hasn't come off. It still looks good. I did have to prime it where I used cabosil and epoxy resin to fill a hole in my hull, but I didn't prime the whole thing.

Watty

Random Performance
One you have the bottom nice and smooth, I would hit it with a think payer of epoxy, like West System and smooth it out if needed. Get some high fill primer, bang it on and then use some flowcoat over the top, a few layers if you want it thicker.

The problem with painting gelcoat on is that it's designed to be used in molds and really only cures properly when it is sealed off from the air, otherwise it never really hardens to it's full potential. Flowcoat is designed to be painted on just like a regular paint and will harden when exposed to air.

Waternut

Customizing addict
One other thought... If you are just looking for basic colors, you could always try the Hardnose (POR-15) paints. Supposed to be some of the toughest paint available. Used in wheelbarrows and industrial equipment. It's kinda pricey though and doesn't have a really fancy color selection.

Top Bottom