Gentlemen, 550 surfs finally getting ready to FIRE UP...the 550 surf!!!

Alrighty

after a minor set back, iron filings in the engine! so a mechanic mate washed it clean with all purpose thinners or acetone i believe. just picked it up yesters, he was just waiting for the loctite 598 to set then bolt it on. he annealed the new copper head gasket.

just curious if YOU think the Loctite 598 Hi Temp gasket maker silicon is suffice to seal the exhuast manifold?

Now for firing it up.
for those of you that have been following my threads and helping me out, you should remember that js550 Piston port convert to reed valve, might need a crankcase clean up and rebuild but shes got a new top and id like to get her wet. cosmetic gaskets. pistons. bore.

now im setting up dual cooling today, i don't have a stinger tho will order one if its really necessary. is it?

anyways, i dont have any carb settings for the dual 38 BN carbs. and I need to break it in before im able to tune it. i know, what a task. lucky my mate will help. but hell need at least settings for the Low and High air/fuel screws, and any advice on a running in this motor?

like okay,

its all ready to press the START button.
What do you do?
Are you on the hose or in the water?

given im not sure about the carb settings, how do i go about this

thanks

can wait to post pics for everybody

** I forgot to mention**

- 2 xfull turns out for both LOW air/fuel screws and 1.8 or for the two High speed screws. Does that sound right? wouldn't the high speed be requiring more fuel and air, thus, needing more flow through the unit and thus opening the screw more. does this logic resonate with you??

the above numbers, 2 "full turns" out does this mean, a 360 degree turn from the BASE.

btw my mate builds rotary engines and two strokes and said that my crank is fine in all departments, so i really to fell i have a good ski hear. thanks alot for the info, i hope i can get this engine tuned, broken in and have it reliable, powerfully and durable.

One way to do it is turn them all all the way out and then, turn them in 1/4 turn at a time until it runs (not well, just runs, you want it to be ultra rich) and then put it in shallow water, tied to a tree, and turn them in 1/8 turn at a time until it's running well being careful not to get too lean with them.

Then ride it with new plugs, do a long run wide open again in shallow water, kill the engine without letting off the throttle, and then pull the plugs and have a look.

Or you could start from here:

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=297869

thanks man
im going to tune it with a mechanic friend of mine on monday. so i think well use that technique.

Top Bottom