Help With Barrel Rolls

It also feels like the centrifugal force of the spin causes me to “open up” during the roll. I try to keep it tight and together but my pole feels like it comes up and my arms rise just from the force of everything. I’m sure that doesn’t help the spin and loses momentum. Very interesting how much is going on before and during a trick like this! Lots of things going on but they have to be one fluid motion. Kinda like learning to use a clutch haha

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
It also feels like the centrifugal force of the spin causes me to “open up” during the roll. I try to keep it tight and together but my pole feels like it comes up and my arms rise just from the force of everything. I’m sure that doesn’t help the spin and loses momentum. Very interesting how much is going on before and during a trick like this! Lots of things going on but they have to be one fluid motion. Kinda like learning to use a clutch haha
Dude I give you mad respect for hucking it like that. Takes balls especially when you know you're gonna come up short. I'm no expert at rolls but I could just about get them on my square and I can do them on my am hull but it looks more like an inverted 360.
I pre hop before the wave and approach/hop in at an angle, and that's when i tuck, crank the bars, nail the the throttle andride up the wave towards the direction I want to roll. Might not be the right way but it kick starts the rotation. Practicing 180s and 360s can help Also that wave looks a bit small.
Either have them slow down for better plowing, have them make a wide turn that creates massive waves, or hang back further if the waves get bigger.
I personally always hit the waves 50-100 feet back as they're higher and have more of a trough unless it's a wakesurf boat with a massive wake off the back. With that method, you can charge the wave, hop right into the trough and pin it all the way up. IMO that's the most fun when you pop into a trough and it's so deep you can't see anything in front of you except a massive wave.

Last edited:
Yeah my brothers boat doesn’t make a huge wake but it’s decent. And yes, it’s not fun coming up short on these rolls! Just taking it to the face doesn’t feel good haha and just like anything else, it looks so much smaller on video! I feel like I’m launching while I’m doing it and then watch this video and realize it’s not as big as it feels haha

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Looking good! Those seadoo boats are pretty fun. Once you're in the air, pull your heels to your butt. It'll tighten your mass and make you rotate quicker. It'll also leave you in a good position to power out even when you come up short. Come up and we'll make fun of each other until we land one clean.

Looking good! Those seadoo boats are pretty fun. Once you're in the air, pull your heels to your butt. It'll tighten your mass and make you rotate quicker. It'll also leave you in a good position to power out even when you come up short. Come up and we'll make fun of each other until we land one clean.

I know! I need to come up there ASAP... Micah's boat is a Yamaha Exciter 220... very fun boat to drive and its powered by two Yamaha 1100's and 155 pumps

Big Kahuna

Administrator
That is my issue, I extend the pole when I get inverted, bad habit from years of nose stabs!!!!!! Think about it, nose stabs you raise the pole as you are spotting your landing! You could try adding a limiting rope to the pole so you can keep it tight, then unhook for regular riding.

CD155MX

Squirrel!!!
Last edited:
I also still feel like my ski does not hit like it should, despite me paying top dollar to the “best” pump builder with the “best” equipment. But, it’s not the pump, Certainly I didn’t build my ski properly. Even went as far as to say that Mikuni had a “bad run” of carburetors and maybe I have one. And that my OEM Parts could be knockoff parts because Partzilla allows returns and I probably have a bad check valve on my tank. The only way to know that my ski is built properly is to pay $30k to have him build it for me. F-that dude.

What impeller are you running. I also have a 148 mag pump not a torrent but a kavinci. It loads the engine pretty hard. I'm running a 7/15 89mm nozzle? I'll have to double check the ID on the outlet nozzle. with a 2mm spacer behind the impeller. It was at 9 degrees on the leading edge. I took 2 degrees out of it and added the spacer..it made a huge difference loosening up the pump a little. I seemed to pick up acceleration ajd even top speed as im turning more rpm. I'm pulling the pump again to replace seals very soon and am going to tweak on the impeller again to see if I can find it's limit on how loose the pump load is. Might even try another spacer and see if that helps.

Last edited:
148, Supposedly the impeller is a 7/16 not sure on cutback. Thrust trim and nozzle, I believe that’s 86.5mm
I haven’t been motivated enough to pull my pump and deal with it. So many other projects always going on! I just knew something was off because when I rode Sanoman’s FX-1 with the 144, it hit WAY harder off bottom and we are running identical engines/carb and electronics. His ski isn’t so much lighter than mine that it would make that big a difference. Almost every ski I’ve ridden hits harder than mine. Don’t get me wrong, it rips but it doesn’t have that smack on the bottom that it should.

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
148, Supposedly the impeller is a 7/16 not sure on cutback. Thrust trim and nozzle, I believe that’s 86.5mm
I haven’t been motivated enough to pull my pump and deal with it. So many other projects always going on! I just knew something was off because when I rode Sanoman’s FX-1 with the 144, it hit WAY harder off bottom and we are running identical engines/carb and electronics. His ski isn’t so much lighter than mine that it would make that big a difference. Almost every ski I’ve ridden hits harder than mine. Don’t get me wrong, it rips but it doesn’t have that smack on the bottom that it should.
any link to a build list?

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
There used to be a saying and T-shirt for sale around here on the X that said "TURN THE F**KING BARS"... lol :D

We get so involved with concentrating on the wake, the approach angle, body positions, etc, we forget to turn the bars all the way on take off. Its hard to tell in your video but maybe that is part of it. It was one of my problems that I became aware of, just a suggestion.

any link to a build list?

No, I had it completely assembled and set up with a "custom" impeller for the exact details of my build. I mean to the T, every single detail was disclosed in order to get the pump set up properly. I could have built it myself but I decided to pay the piper and get it done right the first time... it was a complete waste of money. Also, the builder would not disclose any other details to me other than "about a 7/16, but I measure my props differently than most people" whatever that means.
I recorded a video of myself riding and sent it to the builder and he said "something is WAY off on your ski" but wouldn't even dream of the possibility that he made a mistake. Chocked it up to my inexperience and inability to thoughtfully and properly assemble a watercraft. If any of you have seen my builds, I think we can agree that is surely not the case.

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
No, I had it completely assembled and set up with a "custom" impeller for the exact details of my build. I mean to the T, every single detail was disclosed in order to get the pump set up properly. I could have built it myself but I decided to pay the piper and get it done right the first time... it was a complete waste of money. Also, the builder would not disclose any other details to me other than "about a 7/16"
I recorded a video of myself riding and sent it to the builder and he said "something is WAY off on your ski" but wouldn't even dream of the possibility that he made a mistake. Chocked it up to my inexperience and inability to thoughtfully and properly assemble a watercraft. If any of you have seen my builds, I think we can agree that is surely not the case.
I’m just curious as to what you are working with power plant wise. Not saying you are wrong haha. I’m sure you know this but the dumbest of little things can kill your bottom end. And trust me I know how expensive it is to get a prop sized and ordered so I understand the frustration.

Recently had a very similar issue on a new build that just felt flat. Low speed jet was 10 points too small and despite that ski ran “fine”. Does it sound healthy when it runs?
You may have already chased those gremlins for hours though and it very well could be that prop and pump setup!

Top Bottom