Other how do you say no

So I took a buddy to the lake this weekend and I brought along my 650sx for him to ride with me (I rode my other ski). he brought about 7 friends of his as well (I wasn't expecting it). Naturally they all wanted to ride and honestly at the time I didn't care much. I got back to work today and told a couple of my coworkers about our time at the lake and they got these surprised look on their face. They were amazed that I let people I didn't know use my ski. what if they wrecked it or something? would they pay for it? its doubtful right??? Thinking back I don't know how I would have even said no. I don't want to seem like a selfish jerk. What do you guys do? Have any of you really had any bad experiences with people messing your ski up? How much can really go wrong? I want to try and walk the line between being a jerk and just being naiive. Advice is much appreciative.

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
It is a 650sx I wouldn't worry about it breaking. The thing I would be worried about is them hitting someone or hurting them self. Not sure how the laws work but it being registered to you I was guess you would be the one getting looked at to pay. If it not insured that could be a major issue. I only let my buddies I know that have skis ride mine.

I was at the river once where a lot of people from Germany come through to camp for a night and one of the Germans was talking to me about how the motor works. He asked if he could try it out. Naturally, I said yes. He went over some shallow rocks, sucked em right up, broke off a piece of the prop. Luckily it was sunday night, so I was already heading home. But now if people ask I just say, "Oh I'm sorry it's being really finnicky lately and I don't want it to stop running on you in the middle of the lake. If I can get it going well again, You'll be the first person I tell!"

btw insurance isn't a requirement here so I didn't opt to get it for my 650. I have it on my SJ but I don't want their grubby hands on that ski. should I consider it in case of an accident that causes injury? FML this extra ski is getting to be more of an expense than I wanted.

I would have left after i told my buddy ill let you ride it another time when all these people i dont know aren't around. Knowing how situations like that go. If I don't know you you don't touch it. To many people don't have respect for other people's property and the hard work it took to get it. But that's my opinion.

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
btw insurance isn't a requirement here so I didn't opt to get it for my 650. I have it on my SJ but I don't want their grubby hands on that ski. should I consider it in case of an accident that causes injury? FML this extra ski is getting to be more of an expense than I wanted.

I mean if something happens and the other people have a good lawyer sure as :):):):) he will be going after you. That is what they get paid to do.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Full coverage on the blaster, JS550 and '90 Superjet is around 260$ a year. Also I make everyone starts it at waist deep and tell them not to come any closer to the shore. Hopefully it keeps them from sucking up rocks. Or only bring out your fat friends and they will get tired after about 15 minutes and give up.

We have a bone stock x2 for the newbs to ride. Its not fast and when they do get up, they aren't going to far lol.

No one gets to ride my personal ski unless I know you are a good rider and have a nice ski to trade if mine sinks

We had someone split his pelvis open riding one our skis. He tried throwing the bars at WOT on a gp1200 and literally went kart wheeling across the water. Carted off in an ambulance. Best part was he couldn't swim (didn't know that at the time). He had rabid lawyers calling him for weeks trying to get him to sue. Luckily he was a close family friend. If anyone asks to drive one of my skis that I don't know or trust, I tell them that story. Usually they get the point and don't push it any further. I'm also real strict about letting anyone drive if they've had much of anything to drink.

Also had a strong buddy decide to tape the throttle on the same gp1200 while yanking the bars (flatwater jumping) for about a half mile while I watched in disbelief from shore. All I could hear was the rev limiter. Welp...motor seized. Sooooo after that episode, I also tell anyone asking to drive THAT story as well and that they are COMPLETELY financially responsible for ANYTHING that goes wrong with the ski while they are driving it. No exceptions. Again, most get the picture and are too scared to ride it.

It's usually only family and close friends that ride my stuff. I hate having to babysit and worry about my toys when I'm out there trying to enjoy the few hours I get on the water. Find more friends that ride... or encourage your current friends to buy a ski!

I only loan to friends who have skis or people I know. I have no problem saying no to anyone else.

My close buddy loaned his couch to a friend of a friend when he first got it. The kid sunk it. Never paid for a thing. Ski has never been the same and it cost my buddy too much $$$ to get fixed and it still has issues to this day.

Also, here in Washington we have to have a boaters education license as well. So if I don't want you riding my ski, I'll ask if you've got one. Usually the answer is no

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
When the damage is done you find out who your friends really are. I've had a couple different issues with different friends, and in the end my ski is damaged and I'm financially responsible for it. Don't ever think someone will cover it...... Chances are they won't. Best bet is to not let others ride. Sounds harsh, but I've been burned a few times. It happens.

I've had random parents at public parks come up and ask if I could take their young kids out (on my Stand-up) and while i'm standing there trying to explain that its only for one person the f8cking kid is filling my hand holds with sand and jumping on the tray, playing with handlebars...

I'll let friends ride that wanna try it, or other guys I ride with that know the value of the parts and would take care of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom