how to 750 pump into an x2

i put a 750 pump into my x2 a wee wile ago so i thought id put up how i did it to help anyone else that wonts to . the big plus off the 750 pump is you dont have to reseal it every time you take the pump out and a huge range off props you can get off the shelf with out modding (750 and 800)
the bigest part off the job is fitting the new pump shoe into the hull . it is slightly longer than the 650 shoe area and you have to reshape the new one to fit into the 650 hull and trim it to match your scoop grate . the 750 pump just bolts in like the 650 so i masked up the fromt off the pump and bolted it in . then i used epoxy resin mixed with filler power so it was nice and thick and glued in the shoe and filled round the front off the pump onto the masking tape inside the top off the tunnel and shoe so i have a nice area for the pump to go up against . once the resin had gone off and was sandable i removed the pump and sanded the inside off the top off the tunnel to match the pump and smooth the shoe area and that so the water flows over it nice .
then i sorted out the scoop grate as it bolts onto the pump diffrent than a 750 grate . it uses 2 bolts tather than the one like the 650 so with the pump bolted in i bolted the scoop grate in useing the front bolts and cut a wee bit off alli flat bar and shaped it up to match the area off the pump that it was going to bolt to and the scoop grate . then we tiged it onto the back off the scoop grate and drill the holes for the bolts to go thro into the pump .
now that the pump and the scoop grate all bolted in the ride plate need a slight reshape at the front by the pump so i trimed that up with a grinder and bolted that one and then go test

pic 1 : the old and new parts layed out ready
pic 2 : shapeing and test fitting the new 800 pump shoe into the hull
pic 3 : rear view off shoe been mocked up
pic 4 : rear view off shoe ready for glueing
pic 5 : shoe all shaped up ready for glue

Attachments

• 100_1169.jpg
    100_1169.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 979
  • 100_1174.jpg
    100_1174.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 929
  • 100_1177.jpg
    100_1177.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 899
  • 100_1178.jpg
    100_1178.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 905
  • 100_1175.jpg
    100_1175.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 776
more pics
pic 1 : pump masked up and in and glueing the shoe in and filling round the top off the tunnel to match the pump

pic 2 and 3 : fitting the scoop grate in to match the pump pic 3 shows the bit welded to the scoop grate so it bolts in

pic 4 : shoe glued in and you can see the white ring round the top off the tunnel where i filled in and am in the process off matching the pump so the water flows nice and smooth
pic 5 : thats wot i had to trim out off the ride plate to get it to fit in nice

Attachments

• 100_1181.jpg
    100_1181.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 713
  • 100_1179.jpg
    100_1179.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 684
  • 100_1180.jpg
    100_1180.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 701
  • 100_1184.jpg
    100_1184.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 656
  • 100_1182.jpg
    100_1182.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:

eel

Our home is girt by sea
I suggested to my mate who is building a silly x2 to do this. Re sealing between prop changes takes all the fun out of pump dialling.

edit: W-nut, Great post!

dbrutherford

Parts Whore
I am going to do this swap eventually to my ski. I mocked it up one day and saw what needed to be done. Someone should really make a kit to do it. Think of how easy it would be. All it would take is a custom intake grate and pump shoe! They could perhaps offer a ride plate but that part is easy to cut out.

I am first going to cut off the pump shoe of a junk 650 pump I have. Then I may or may not make a fiberglass shoe off of it. Then I am going to use a 750 SX intake grate. It bolts up but needs a piece cut out and it rewelded back up to shorten it up. Otherwise the 650 grate will work but needs the rear bolt hole welded up and moved back about 1/2". Just what I found from my mocking up.

I did once have both a Jet Dynamics aluminum pump shoe and a stock Kawie plastic pump shoe.

What model shoe did you start with?

i used a sxr 800 pump shoe , i didnt know i had to reshape all the shoe when i satrted but it wasnt that hard to do , im about to do it all over again on my other x2 hull for my other 750 pump that wat i can swap between the two hulls

dbrutherford

Parts Whore
I use RTV Silacone by Permatex. If you screw up and get the wrong silacone, it just peels off, the ski cavitates, and then you get to go it all over again.

I know it isn't practical unless you are doing a full build up an have the motor out but I fint ie easier and not quite as messy to do it with the engine out of the ski so you can have the drive shaft out of the ski. Pump first, shaft second, motor third in reinstall order

do you mean have i tested the 750 pump in my x2 yet . yes i have been running it for almost a year now still going real well . more than happy with the way it turned out and am going to do my other x2 hull soon if i ever stop rideing my frist one long enough to work on the other one

wing-nut have you tested this yet?

another wee mode i did when i had my pump out the othere day is to fill up the back off the pump shoe with silacone. this is sposed to help getting air sucked in thro there i didnt really notice much diffrence on mine but was told it helps

in the pic you can see the hollow area off the pumps shoe , that is the area i filled up

Attachments

• 100_1178.jpg
    100_1178.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 550

dbrutherford

Parts Whore
Any ideas how hard this would be to do for a fx-1?

Probably just a hair more dificult than doing the 650 Kawie pump into an FX-1.

From what I read about the 650 FX1 swap, there is trouble finding an appropriate pump shoe. Also I think the intake grate would be a problem too. With the 650 FX1 swap, guys have said that the FX1 grate matches up perfectly. You won't have that with a Kawie 750 pump. But all in all it is doable.

Only reason I haven't put a 750 into my X2 yet is because i ma lazy and was hoping for a simple bolt in. Instead I will have to cut up a good intake grate and have it rewelded. In addition to making the pump shoe fit.

LIVE2RIDE Powersports

Live & Die 2 Ride
From what i heard its insane the amount from the 122mm pump to the kawi 650 or 750, which i think it 140mm. plus im running the cheap trim system....

Top Bottom