HYDROTURF WONT STICK

I hate this stupid turf that wont stop peeling. I have it on my rub rails, and whenever i sub or stab, after a while, IT ALL PEELS UP. I really want to know if anyone has tips on this, cuz it really makes my ski look like crap

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Big Kahuna

Administrator
You have to sand the side rails with80-100 grit sand paper. Contact cement the turf and the rails. let dry completely. Then adhere the turf. Then use a rubber mallet, pound every square inch of the turf. Then take a sharp razer knife and cut the turf at a 45 degree angle. Then take a sanding block to smooth it up. This will help the water deflect and not peal the turf up. You can also superglue the thin edge of the turf to the rail if there is a small gap.

Funny i have the same problems where my pisser lets out ruined 2 paintjobs regluing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully the third times a charm. Touching up this paint in the spring and putting new on. I thought my prep and glue job was good

I had the peel on stuff, learned my lesson. Got a fresh sheet on the way, hopefully itll go well this time, i will try these tips next time hopefully all goes well

Mike W

Infidel
I had the peel on stuff, learned my lesson. Got a fresh sheet on the way, hopefully itll go well this time, i will try these tips next time hopefully all goes well

That's why I asked. If you used the peel and stick on the bond rail then I knew it wouldn't last. Looks like you are on the right path to doing it right.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
The peel and stick will work,but you have to use an adhesive promoter to make it work.

And use a rubber mallet after application.lt works.....

I worked in a laminate shop when i was a teenager. I got paid to use contact cement almost every day for a couple years. Wilsonart is superior to Weldwood and if used correctly you barely have to touch the two glued parts together and they are married. A rubber mallet isnt going to do anything more than what some simple preasure with your hands will do. If your turf peels your not using the contact cement correctly. My bondrail never peels up even with the way i did mine.

Attachments

• 20161223_105440.jpg
    20161223_105440.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 99
Both are contact cements. Not totally different. Same stuff as like what you got in old tire tube repair kits. Its all similar. I tried gel on turf and its horrible.

FlyinRyan324

High on Helium
I completely agree with Big Kakuna's original post and then WB1994's point on 2 layers of glue on each surface before sticking back together.
They both already said it, but I'll stress these points again:
1. I apply a light coat on each surface (after you've sanded each surface and cleaned with acetone). Then, allow both sides to COMPLETELY dry. This means being able to put your fingers on both surfaces and have it not be all gooey. If you have globs of goo, it could mess it up. Once both sides are dry, repeat applying the contact cement (a thin coat). Let dry. Then apply. When applying on the bond rails, work from the top down to the sides.
2. When cutting the excess turf on the sides, you need to think of the water flow and force on your rails. You need to decrease as much surface area as possible for water to grab onto. Therefore, cutting the turf at an angle instead of 90° is integral to this job and many people don't do this. Use a sharp razor blade to cut and it'll go so smooth and easy.
Enjoy!
-Ryan

Top Bottom