Super Jet I hate torquing bolts down in aluminum.

Just thought I would say it. I get so nervous about stripping out the threads, especially with anti seize on them. I like to use the gauge type torque wrench instead of the clicker type cause I feel they feel better with aluminum and don't get tighter with every click.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
i should get mine calibrated... i wonder where i could go about that in my town.

i have been thinking about the head studs. i priced it all on mcmaster carr (thanks waternut) and it came out to half the price what ada wants. i think it was 35 bucks.

Yea anti seize makes everything buttery. Got to use lower torque values too, but I ride 100% ICW/surf so I tend to use alot of the stuff. Looking forward to how my new Walmiltions mounts handle the corrosion factor.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
i have never lowered torque values when using anti-size. i only use a little on tip of the threads so when i thread it in, the motion of the bolt going threw the threads spreads it down the entire threaded area.

should i be lowering my torque number when using anti-size? you may be able to get the bolt tighter because there is less friction but your still exerting the same amount of force. ie, 65 pounds of torque with or without anti-size is still only 65 pounds of force being put on the bolt. the torque wrench doesn't know the different. please correct me if im wrong....

<p>
i have never lowered torque values when using anti-size. i only use a little on tip of the threads so when i thread it in, the motion of the bolt going threw the threads spreads it down the entire threaded area. </p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>should i be lowering my torque number when using anti-size? you may be able to get the bolt tighter because there is less friction but your still exerting the same amount of force. ie, 65 pounds of torque with or without anti-size is still only 65 pounds of force being put on the bolt. the torque wrench doesn't know the different. please correct me if im wrong....
</p>

You dont need to lower your torque values. Im not sure why people think if you lube the threads you are making the bolt tighter??? you are only making it easier to get to that torque setting. And you are also protecting agianst any corrosion especially you salt guys.

At the end of the day people can do/ think what they want, but IMO if you use grease or oil on all the bolts that hold your motor together (or anything together for that matter) you will have a more accuratly assembled engine. its that simple.

All that said, i agree if yor just doing up a bolt by hand, yes you COULD make matters worse with a lubed thread, as its easier to go too far. But you develop a "feel" for it over time. You gotta fight the urge to crank on bolts, especially cuz all our bolts are so small!!! A GOOD torque wrench is key.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
You dont need to lower your torque values. Im not sure why people think if you lube the threads you are making the bolt tighter??? you are only making it easier to get to that torque setting. And you are also protecting agianst any corrosion especially you salt guys.

At the end of the day people can do/ think what they want, but IMO if you use grease or oil on all the bolts that hold your motor together (or anything together for that matter) you will have a more accuratly assembled engine. its that simple.

All that said, i agree if yor just doing up a bolt by hand, yes you COULD make matters worse with a lubed thread, as its easier to go too far. But you develop a "feel" for it over time. You gotta fight the urge to crank on bolts, especially cuz all our bolts are so small!!! A GOOD torque wrench is key.

i glad we are on the same page. im gonna keep doing things like i have been.

i converted all my head bolts to SS studs. the only way to go.

did you use the ADA kit or get together your own set?

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
<p></p>

Torquing bolts dry or with lube DOES affect how "tight" the bolt will get. The torque wrench only measures the amount of force applied. Some of that applied force is lost through friction, therefore, affecting how tight (in total degrees of rotation) the bolt will be. This is very critical especially when dealing with aluminum. Torque values are set to provide a certain amount of "stretch" to the bolt and threads in order to create tension and to remain tight. Torquing a lubed bolt to a torque spec designed for a dry bolt can easily snap the bolt or pull the threads.

Top Bottom