Infamous Venturi Dribble

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
Fired ski up tonight after finishing the build, front carb is completely fine, rear is spewing fuel at idle and throughout rpm range. The motor is a 927, and they are notorious for shaking the fuel out, but the front carb is completely fine.
Full spec 48’s, brand new 1.8 n/s, pop off set at 26psi and checked a million times. External fuel pump, pulse from front cylinder and back cylinder pulse capped. Same kidney blocks, check valves are new. Butterfly’s set in sync. What could possibly be making this big of a difference between the two carbs. Both cylinders are within 2 psi of eachother.
I am going to try doubling up on check valves on that carb and checking the Ns and pop off again tomorrow but I am baffled as to how this could be a carb (or cylinder) specific issue.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Fired ski up tonight after finishing the build, front carb is completely fine, rear is spewing fuel at idle and throughout rpm range. The motor is a 927, and they are notorious for shaking the fuel out, but the front carb is completely fine.
Full spec 48’s, brand new 1.8 n/s, pop off set at 26psi and checked a million times. External fuel pump, pulse from front cylinder and back cylinder pulse capped. Same kidney blocks, check valves are new. Butterfly’s set in sync. What could possibly be making this big of a difference between the two carbs. Both cylinders are within 2 psi of eachother.
I am going to try doubling up on check valves on that carb and checking the Ns and pop off again tomorrow but I am baffled as to how this could be a carb (or cylinder) specific issue.
Thoughts?

My 16 mil does that too, front carb is fine, only rear carb is effected... doubling up the check valves on both carbs helps some people..

A different part number kidney block that has the passage make a right angle and dump higher up fixed mine... this passage is what the check valve covers... there is a thread about it and the part number for the kidneys are in it... think they were $86 new each.... I might not have time to look for the thread though...

Here is what I bought

Attachments

• 9E7D0892-0E22-4DFE-B1D3-6DB556F6D35C.jpeg
    9E7D0892-0E22-4DFE-B1D3-6DB556F6D35C.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Jcary85

Site Supporter
Agreed with others - could be debris. I’ve also had the n/s outer oring fail causing the same thing. As others said, make sure check valves on kidney block are doubled. I think I also had this happen once and it was broken reeds causing a lot of outward pressure up the carbs which was enough to pull fuel out the Venturi surprisingly.

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
My 16 mil does that too, front carb is fine, only rear carb is effected... doubling up the check valves on both carbs helps some people..

A different part number kidney block that has the passage make a right angle and dump higher up fixed mine... this passage is what the check valve covers... there is a thread about it and the part number for the kidneys are in it... think they were $86 new each.... I might not have time to look for the thread though...

Here is what I bought
I’m going to try a doubling up on the check valves tonight, and I’ll check the NS again. Just seemed odd to me, reeds are new, brand new everything and a fresh filter. I remember that kidney block trick, I’m going to order a set!! Thanks man

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
This may sound stupid, but verify that the diaphragm button is not pushing the needle arm down when the square cover is screwed on.

I’m going to try a doubling up on the check valves tonight, and I’ll check the NS again. Just seemed odd to me, reeds are new, brand new everything and a fresh filter. I remember that kidney block trick, I’m going to order a set!! Thanks man
What reeds are you running?

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
This may sound stupid, but verify that the diaphragm button is not pushing the needle arm down when the square cover is screwed on.
I had checked this when I was doing the pop off as well as arm clearance to carb surface but I will double check tonight

You might want to get a fuel pressure gauge and check it. Could definitely cause issues you're having. According to novi, 1-2psi at idle is ideal. 4-5psi at wot. I have a ported 735 with dual 44s. 70 jet was recommended, actually got a gauge and checked pressure. Was at 3.5psi at idle. Put a 80 jet in there and it immediately ran smoother. 80 jet put me at 2.5psi at idle. Still high but much better. Going to try a 85 next. Youd be surprised how much difference it will make. Theres a really good thread on here worth reading. I'll find it and post for you

DylanS

Gorilla Smasher
You might want to get a fuel pressure gauge and check it. Could definitely cause issues you're having. According to novi, 1-2psi at idle is ideal. 4-5psi at wot. I have a ported 735 with dual 44s. 70 jet was recommended, actually got a gauge and checked pressure. Was at 3.5psi at idle. Put a 80 jet in there and it immediately ran smoother. 80 jet put me at 2.5psi at idle. Still high but much better. Going to try a 85 next. Youd be surprised how much difference it will make. Theres a really good thread on here worth reading. I'll find it and post for you

Yeah I gave it a read already, like I said i didn’t bother checking because the front carb wasn’t having the issue at all out of the same fuel pump. Ed from full spec was extremely adamant that anyone running anything other than a 60 return jet (on his carbs) was making a mistake when I spoke with him on the phone Because I had also been playing with my return jetting. I will tear it down tonight and if it’s not a obvious issue I’ll start at the fuel pressure

My engine builder recommended a 70 jet. He did all of the modifications to the carbs I'm running and I've had a super tough time getting rid of a 1/4 throttle dead spot. Also had rear carb dripping like yours. I've tried different popoff pressures, seats, springs, and jetting. I was able to move the dead spot Lower or higher in the throttle position but never eliminated it. Plus terrible fuel economy. Finally got a gauge and measured it. Tried the 80 jet and it cleared right up. Thing you have to consider is your tuner can give you starting points but every ski is different. What might work on one ski might not work on another. Definitely worth checking especially if nothing else is working.

CD155MX

Squirrel!!!
My engine builder recommended a 70 jet. He did all of the modifications to the carbs I'm running and I've had a super tough time getting rid of a 1/4 throttle dead spot. Also had rear carb dripping like yours. I've tried different popoff pressures, seats, springs, and jetting. I was able to move the dead spot Lower or higher in the throttle position but never eliminated it. Plus terrible fuel economy. Finally got a gauge and measured it. Tried the 80 jet and it cleared right up. Thing you have to consider is your tuner can give you starting points but every ski is different. What might work on one ski might not work on another. Definitely worth checking especially if nothing else is working.

So on your ski, less fuel pressure cleared up the dribble?

It was recommended to test while moving however I checked mine under load on the trailer. I will extend the hose to the gauge through the pole to see if it makes any difference in pressure moving vs on the trailer.

Top Bottom