inside of a waterbox

wanting to know what the inside of a waterbox looks like. does any one have pics of 1 that has been cut open. wanting to learn how the baffle system works so i can maybe make my own. i have a little carbon left over that i can use on one.

i dont have a pic but i removed mine last season cuz it kept coming loose and then it broke in half. the baffle is a flat plate with like 4 or 5 half inch holes and two pieces of 1-1/4 pipe going through it. it was kinda stupid.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I drew up the picture, it's around somewhere...

Basically, the inlet goes in and angles down and ends. The outlet is a straight pipe that goes almost to the bottom. There is a plate in the middle of the box that separates it into a left/right chamber. The top of the plate has 2 smaller tubes that go into the outlet side and a small hole in the bottom to let water flow from one side to the other.

fmx_Bud

to many hobbies
so could u not use a waterbox at all? from what I understand a baffle just creates some back pressure and makes the exhaust quieter.

Waternut

Customizing addict
My factory pipe waterbox basically looks like a smaller version of the stock SN waterbox and has a curved plate between the intake tube and the outlet and it's not that bad. Sounds like stock if you don't use a flow control valve.

I'll save everyone the trouble of searching this time. I blew the top off a stock waterbox last year and kept it in case I ever needed one. Went down and snapped a few pics. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 100_7381.jpg
    100_7381.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 316
  • 100_7382.jpg
    100_7382.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_7383.jpg
    100_7383.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 182

Waternut

Customizing addict
Use a waterbox... It's gawd awful without one and I noticed a decrease in low-mid power on my 750 without it. The waterbox principle is similar in most ski's but you'd have to physically make it fit in the hull and connect the hoses which is the reason you don't see a lot of inter-ski waterbox swapping.

Some people have taken out one of the baffles but honestly, it'd be more trouble than it's worth. You can get a RN waterbox which is metal for under $100, SN waterboxes for under $50, and you can buy new Factory Pipe waterboxes for $175-$200 depending on what you get.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Waterbox makes it quieter by making the air flow through the water inside, which breaks up the sound wave and reduces the noise. Maybe if you installed the exhaust outlet through the bottom deck so it was underwater all the time, you wouldn't need one! :haha:

Back pressure is a good thing. 2-strokes don't have valves like 4-strokes. The back pressure works as a closed exhaust valve. The returning pressure keeps the fresh air/fuel mix in the cylinder. Reducing back pressure will reduce power and economy.

Removing the waterbox = more noise, less power

Waternut

Customizing addict
Anyone open up a SXR box?

Yeah I blew one of those up as well...or at least a 750 box which I believe is similar. They are divided in half at the seam by a piece of metal with two holes in it. I remember it fills from the bottom and exits out the top and if I remember correctly, it fills the front chamber and exits from the back. I believe the back chamber has a long tube that goes down to the bottom of the box as well. This happened almost 2 years ago so some of that nitty gritty details could be wrong.

Attachments

• waterbox.JPG
    waterbox.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
You can always tell who doesn't know how a two stroke works buy how loud their boat is. YOU WILL lose power if you don't run some back pressure. Two strokes are not four strokes. Back pressure on a two stroke is a touchy thing. You want back pressure to help make sure the exhaust doesn't run out the pipe without leaving enough for the sonic wave to travel through. Every time I hear a non-water boxed boat all I can see is some moron who makes so much noise that its only a matter of time before someone complains and another riding spot is closed.

fishinrod

guerrilla steezin
does back pressure matter after the waterbox? cause theres people running the dual front and rear exhaust, or front only, and rear only so i dont know what to make of that???

Top Bottom