SX/SXi/SXi Pro Is the 750SXi a good ski?

I am new to standups so bare with me. I got the chance to ride a 89 650SX last year and was instantly hooked!!! Me and my GF actually. I have a chance to get a non-running modded (bolt-on's) 95 750SXi for a pretty good deal. Are these good ski's? It is a one owner ski and according to him the motor has never been torn down. He said it quite running last year and never had the time to fix it. Thanks for any input.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
It is a good ski. I preferred my 650sx over the 750sx I rode, but others would disagree with me. The 650sx is lighter than the 750sx and handles pretty different. The 750sx seriers puts out a fair bit more power than the 650sx. I prefer the 650sx hull, but the 750 motor. If it's your first ski, almost anything is good. Just don't get over your head in a maintence project. I'd advise spending the extra money to get a clean, ready to ride ski over a project. If you want a project, buy a starter ski that works you can ride while you build up your dream ski, then sell the starter ski. If the budget is the issue, you may need to buy a ski that works, but realize that when you factor time and cost of a rebuild, you may be better off just saving the extra money and buy something that doesn't need all the work. It may seem cheaper to buy a project and rebuild the motor, but remember, the rougher the ski, the more likely you are going to be replacing battery cables, control cables, pump liners/pumps, brackets, etc etc in the near future, tho, any ski will require constant maintainence.

Thanks for the reply. It will be my first standup so it will be nice to just have one. As far as a project goes, that is what I am looking for but not just because of cost. I do all of my own work on all of my toys... so this is not much different. I actually prefer to get something that needs a rebuild so I can make sure everything is fresh. I guess it is kinda a peace of mind... call me crazy haha. The 650 was a blast but I never got use to it or even good at it for that matter. I only rode it a couple times to though. Now I would also like to discuss the price… The ski’s add-ons include: factory pipe, K&N flame arresters, boysen reeds, skat trak impeller, jet dynamics ride plate, R&D intake grate, R&D head, bilge pump, umi bars with quick steer plate, etc... Now also included in the sale are: galvanized trailer, AC racing water stand, beach dolly, all of the stock parts replaced on the ski, extra ride plates and impellers, service manual, anchor, cover and a few other things. Does $1,000 sound fair for all of this? I am thinking it’s a pretty good deal considering the trailer, dolly, and stand come with it. It is 2.5 hours away from me and I am possibly picking it up tonight. It is also a one owner ski!!! That is what I really like about it haha. Thanks again for the input.

Sounds like a bunch of good stuff for the price. Sometimes projects can get over welming but once finsh a project like that you learn alot about your ski. Assuming that it needs a top end rebuild you going to be looking t spending around 300 if that is all it needs but there is a good chance that it will need more work. Also you can get used short blocks for around 400 or get a fresh rebuilt 750 for 600 bucks. So it you were to have a running ski with all the extras for 1600 that would still be a great deal. But I would expect the worst just incase if other things need work though. But again it sounds like a good deal if you don't mind taking on a project like that right off the bat.

Yeah I have a bad habit about buying projects haha. It is a good way to learn what you have... plus half the fun to me is the wrench time. I am assuming the worse honestly. If I get into it and have to get another motor then so be it. I figure for the price I am willing to take the risk. I am just now getting into the sport so honestly I would not know the difference in riding one or another. How is the stability compared to the 550 and 650's?

sounds like a great deal just for the parts alone. try finding a FP limited pipe for under 500 lol. Id be all over it...
As for stability, Its way better than a 550. prob not quite as easy as a 650 but youll love it and it sounds like all the basics are covered. throw a set of foot holds in it and have a blast.
If you do need a upper end kit call Zforce motorsports, he's the man and prices are cheap. you can bore it and port it for around 600 with new pistons.

I think you would be happy with the sxi. Even if the ski is in worst shape than you think you still part everything out for alot more than you have into it. But it sounds like a doable project so I would defently go for it!

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
$1000 is probably fair for all the extra. The spare parts is a good bonus since you don't have anything. The FPP is good and bad. I got my FPP limited for $150 but it had stuck screws and etc. You will probably have stuck screws too.

150!!! thats a steal lol. Stuck screws are a easy fix. I paid 450 for mine in very good shape and thought that was a more than fair price. Limited pipe is the only way to go on the sxi.

Well I picked it up last night!!! 2.5 hour drive one way but it was worth it. The thing is CLEAN. The only marks on the bottom are from the water stand. The motor def needs to be gone through. You can hit the starter and only get a "thump"... motor will not turn over. I think this is going to be a great project. According to the guy I bought it from, the motor has never been apart. It also has the oil injector still on it. I am stoked!!!

Attachments

• 750SXi 006.jpg
    750SXi 006.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Well I picked it up last night!!! 2.5 hour drive one way but it was worth it. The thing is CLEAN. The only marks on the bottom are from the water stand. The motor def needs to be gone through. You can hit the starter and only get a "thump"... motor will not turn over. I think this is going to be a great project. According to the guy I bought it from, the motor has never been apart. It also has the oil injector still on it. I am stoked!!!

Sweet Ski - nice pick up

It's a great ski I picked my 750 up for 1000 and it had a fpp limited, ride plate quick steer, bars, prop, and a grate ran good when I got it but ended up it had a lot of corrosion in the ebox but other than that I love the ski. And BTW ditch the oil injection and go premix

Sent from my EVO 3D using TAPATALK

Last edited:
That is what I was thinking linden... about the premix. I usually pull the injection of anything that has it. I know people have alot of different opinions about this but what are yall's? I took the plugs out of the ski this morning and one piston is black and the other is silver. I am guessing the seize came from carb. or injection issues... although it is to early to say for sure.

photobucket works great for posting pics

while we are on the subject of ski pricing, I paid 3000 for my ski a few years ago. It was super clean with low hours but bone stock. I didnt know it then but I got hosed lol

I always take pictures with my iPhone but one time I used my moms nice camera and it was a pain because I had to make it smaller. I think the max photo size on this cite is 800 x 800. If you find it in your files and right click it and hit edit then it will open you up to paint and up at the top there is resizing option. Hope this helps you out!

Last edited:
Top Bottom