650/X-2 Looking at my first ski

So I'm trying to buy my buddy's 1991 650sx

I picked up because it was going to be trashed at his old job and I wanted to start a new sport. it hadnt been used since 1995 but it started right up.

I took it out on a lake with my other friend and I had so much fun on it, and felt pretty comfortable on it for being my 1st time. It eventually started taking on water because the mid-shaft seal has a tear in it..

I offered him $500 but he kinda freaked.. I looked on craigslist before and seen them for around that price but they all have different stories like a missing title or one "small" fix.. I'm in the ft.lauderdale area and Im seeing solid clean title skis in the same engine class going for a lil over a grand. So then I was thinking I'd offer $800... It also has some mickey mouse fiberglass work on the nose but it seamed to be holding up fine...

long story short.. the skis rides great but I have to invest $130 for that seal and its not the prettiest looking 650..
I dont wanna bone my buddy but I'm looking for a deal on my first ski. What's a good price?

ski 2.jpgski 1.jpg

Not worth $800 IMHO. I personally don't like to buy or sell from/to friends or family. Have you checked compression (150psi stock is ideal), looked up in the pump to make sure the veins and impeller are in good shape, checked the water output from the pisser to make sure it isn't all salt corroded in the cooling system? The glass work is bad. Maybe $500 maybe, but like I said I wouldn't buy it.

Not worth $800 IMHO. I personally don't like to buy or sell from/to friends or family. Have you checked compression (150psi stock is ideal), looked up in the pump to make sure the veins and impeller are in good shape, checked the water output from the pisser to make sure it isn't all salt corroded in the cooling system? The glass work is bad. Maybe $500 maybe, but like I said I wouldn't buy it.

Yeah I totally understand, business and blood dont really mix. But this ski is just gonna go to waste.... and now it's just sitting in MY garage because he doesnt have a place to keep it.

like I said thought everything also seamed fine, the bilge pumped worked it was squirting water and the ski was running strong. Even after filling it with water then having to pull the plugs and flush all the water out, it still starts instantly and idles great...

lol well I told him he could keep it here with the intention of me keeping it...

I wanted to get it cheap and build it up, it had some power but even it being my first time out it felt a little sluggish... my other buddy that came with me to take it out, had an fx that was bored out to 750..and that was loads of fun... so much low-end power..

i paid $150 for the 89 650sx i have... only because it came with a trailer... it became the go to ski for anyone who sees me on my sj and asks if they can ride it... "no, but you can ride that one".. i just tell them if they break it they buy it... that way i'll never have to work on it... haha

Dude, that thing is BEAT. I would maybe consider paying 100 bucks, but for 800 you could have something super nice with ZERO issues. I just sold an 88 that was in pristine condition, both mechanically and cosmetically, for 800 bucks. I know we are in different areas, but I would think Colorado prices would be higher since there probably aren't as many around.

Myself

manic mechanic
I just sold a pretty decent 650 Superjet for $800 and it had a solas impeller and aftermarket 0 degree bars. I gave $200 for my 650sx in WAY better shape than that one. I gave $400 for my winter project 650 Superjet in about the same shape as that 650sx with some quickie repairs that I have to re-do. I personally like my 650sx, and for cheap to free you can wake them up A LOT. Just keep looking on nearby Craigslist, you can get a good deal on one and he can keep his gold mine.

Top Bottom