Super Jet lowered Square nose hood

tom21

havin fun
I have a had a quite a few guys ask for a lowered square hood and I just want some input on what the hood should look like.

is it just shaving the top section off?

I have a smooth liner already from the square conversion hood so unless there is something special needed there I think just hammering out the design for the shell is what Im after.

also a realistic price if you feel like throwin it out there.

If you are any good with photoshop and can post a pic thats even better.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
We are going to be lowering my brothers SN this winter. The only advice I have so far is if you put a xmetal or similar low profile pole on a square the hood is like 3" taller. In my opinion its just saving the top and making a new nose piece, just like lowered stock RN hoods.

Im sure your hood will come out sweet. My brother might send you his hood if you need one.

tom21

havin fun
yes almost all the square owners like and want to keep the original lines of the hood. at least most did when I was trying to do the conversion hood. trying to add curves to a square is not a good idea, I agree.

thanks guys.

anyone disagree? this seemed to be the way to go and I just want to make sure the majority are in agreement.

tom21

havin fun
the design is what Im trying to establish, if its gonna be as simple as grind it down and making it look like it came that way factory then its gonna be easy. just making sure that is what most square riders will want.

maybe bend that top cut down a little harder at the back of the hood? or slant the rear angle forward a little more to avoid the hard angle?

you should post a few drawings if possible. How do you plan on venting it? rear openings like a rn hood? I would like the front and top vents eliminated and just have the rears if possible.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I've done two of them here. The first one we just cut a little off the top. The second one I cut just a little lower than the stock center hood strip where the pole rests. I think the lower one looks way better, but I also changed the pole bracket area on that ski so the lines were a bit different.

I think you should build it as low profile as possible. Keep the sharp lines and square look like you did with the fixed steer hood. I think that came out great.

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 655
  • ski done 005.jpg
    ski done 005.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 654
  • primed, hood foamed 010.jpg
    primed, hood foamed 010.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 650
  • graphics and turf (6).jpg
    graphics and turf (6).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 695
  • photo (21).jpg
    photo (21).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 650
  • photo (20).jpg
    photo (20).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 668

tom21

havin fun
tom21 you have a liner for a regular hood to make it rear vent?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
yes sort of, it is just a copy of the stock liner but all the guts cut out and smoothed. it would breath at the rear corners. on my conversion hood I added a little depth to the corners and angle it in from the side to the center. so instead of like a small square it would be more of long triangle. I might keep some of that on a lowered square hood just for some more breathing.

I've done two of them here. The first one we just cut a little off the top. The second one I cut just a little lower than the stock center hood strip where the pole rests. I think the lower one looks way better, but I also changed the pole bracket area on that ski so the lines were a bit different.

I think you should build it as low profile as possible. Keep the sharp lines and square look like you did with the fixed steer hood. I think that came out great.

wow bruce that lower hood is right down on the pole area! guess I will have to mock it up and see what flies. I had to do a double take on the first ski as the nose looks similar to an fx1. very nice. thanks, this is what I needed was some ideas to kick around in my head.

BombThreat

'Diggity
For me I would prefer hard / chiseled lines. Like others have said, embrace the square. Don't try to make it something its not. Maybe take some design ques from the Matrix?

I like that green square. If you do make a hood for it make sure to make a matching nosepiece, maybe one that doesn't have the lines in it like the stock one.

tom21

havin fun
im working on a lightweight carbon fx1 hull but yes the plug is being worked. its a slow process with making parts and fixing skis and making this new carbon hull. but i have something special in mind for this. it should be pretty good.

Top Bottom