MSD total loss problem

mr.fixitman760

if it aint broke, dont fix it
This year I purchased a brand new MSD pro-digital setup, spent a few days at the bench wiring it up and mounting it correctly to the blowsion billet mounting plate along with the shifty mod, for the first few weeks it ran great without issues other than the brand new starter i had installed was acting like the battery was dead even though i could pull the battery out and drop it in my SN and would crank like it was fresh charged, tried another starter and the same thing happened, 2 completely different starters from 2 different manufacturers and purchased 4 months apart, installed an old OEM from a buddies motor sitting in my shop last night and cranks like new (not sure if this is ignition related but theres more to the story) tried to run the ski today, dropped it in the canal, pushed the start button and it fired instantly, brapped to the middle of the canal and died like i accidentally hit the stop button, never started again, got it back on the dock and no spark.... last week i realized my flywheel had contacted the trigger wires and cut almost all the way through, soldered them back up and some shrink tube then moved them back away from the ring gear further and it ran great sunday other than the battery acting like it was dead. now neither cylinder sparks and i cant seem to find the source... could the brain be bad? i feel like if the trigger was bad the other cylinder should atleast spark but neither do.

Check fuse in 12v line to the brain. Prob not pick up issue as both failing at the same time is unlikely. Fact it just quit seems like a wire/fuse/brain prob for sure. Think the shifty mod uses the teather to disconnect power to the purple wire. There is a lot going on inside that teather switch when you take one apart. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr.fixitman760

Check fuse in 12v line to the brain. Prob not pick up issue as both failing at the same time is unlikely. Fact it just quit seems like a wire/fuse/brain prob for sure. Think the shifty mod uses the teather to disconnect power to the purple wire. There is a lot going on inside that teather switch when you take one apart. Good luck

The fuse was the first thing I checked, looks fine and passed the continuity test, called xscream about my head orings and they seem to think the brain is bad and that's why my power valves have been so gummed up as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

scotts2t

Head Woop!
I really doubt the brain is bad if you bought brand new recently. I've seen them go bad after 5-10 years but not new however will be under warranty still. My msd fuse holder has went bad before with fuse still looking good if that helps.

SpaceCowboy

breaking something
I really doubt the brain is bad if you bought brand new recently. I've seen them go bad after 5-10 years but not new however will be under warranty still. My msd fuse holder has went bad before with fuse still looking good if that helps.

I've had one work for 1 week...then dead. Put a new brain in and changed nothing else and it's been running ever since 2 seasons.

mr.fixitman760

The one ground I thought wouldn't matter if I threw a temp crimp on it until I had time to change it and I forget about it and it happens to be for the brain...
4bcc004f88c308cbfa5da3f42ff51fe1.jpg
e0db9d7dfb2565c90759ae99fc3988e2.gif

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Christian_83

Xscream
Yes like said above, GOOOD connections and lots of grounds AND im all in for glued heat shrink, or crimp shoes with glue in to keep all water out of the wires. even if only riding freshwater. Also i double check everything. First i check all connections, then write down the MSD curve settings, after this i go over it second time and se if i missed something :)

The better you make you setup frist time, the less time you are likely to spend, chasing bugs.

Yes like said above, GOOOD connections and lots of grounds AND im all in for glued heat shrink, or crimp shoes with glue in to keep all water out of the wires. even if only riding freshwater. Also i double check everything. First i check all connections, then write down the MSD curve settings, after this i go over it second time and se if i missed something :)

The better you make you setup frist time, the less time you are likely to spend, chasing bugs.
When you mention "glue", could you provide a link to what you are referring to?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I solder and shrink tube ALL my wire ends. Crimp on's are quick and easy but you get it stuck in your a$$ when your trying to enjoy n ride. It's worth the extra time without a doubt.

Top Bottom