MSD Total Loss / Totally lossed

Winter X2

Winter X2
Ok.. I need help guys.. I have sent my total loss system to jet ski solutions and he did a great job reconditioning it and making it good to go. I hooked it up with all the wires correctly. The reason I know this is the start stop works, its grounded correctly and when I touch the two green wires togeather, i get awesome spark straight to the plugs. I installed a brand new pick up on the stator plate.... replaced the flywheel and cover.. hooked up the battery and turned the motor over. I got spark to the plugs again. Heres the problem. I only get one spark, then nothing. I have to unhook the battery and then hook it back up again to get one spark. I have no clue whats wrong and why I am only getting one spark.. Any suggestions. Battery is brand new fully charged.:shrug::shrug:

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Ok.. I need help guys.. I have sent my total loss system to jet ski solutions and he did a great job reconditioning it and making it good to go. I hooked it up with all the wires correctly. The reason I know this is the start stop works, its grounded correctly and when I touch the two green wires togeather, i get awesome spark straight to the plugs. I installed a brand new pick up on the stator plate.... replaced the flywheel and cover.. hooked up the battery and turned the motor over. I got spark to the plugs again. Heres the problem. I only get one spark, then nothing. I have to unhook the battery and then hook it back up again to get one spark. I have no clue whats wrong and why I am only getting one spark.. Any suggestions. Battery is brand new fully charged.:shrug::shrug:

What t/l do u have? 4270 analog, single channel digital, multi channel digital? I assume w/u say 1 trigger, u r talkn bout analog.?.?

Winter X2

Winter X2
This is what I have can you figure from the pics?? No trigger. model #4270.

Attachments

• MSD single channel before 1 april 2009.jpg
    MSD single channel before 1 april 2009.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 89
  • MSD single channel after 2 april 2009.jpg
    MSD single channel after 2 april 2009.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 86
  • MSD single channel after 1 april 2009.jpg
    MSD single channel after 1 april 2009.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Sounds very much like a bad ground. The starter may be grounded properly since the starter runs but the brain could have a bad ground causing only one spark before it overloads and shuts down. Do you only get one spark when you touch the green wires together or can you get many sparks doing that? Is the brain grounded to the case or the battery? (I know everyone says it shouldn't make a difference but it does on my ski's)

Last edited:

crammit442

makin' legs
Just for grins, try disconnecting the black and white wires from the start/stop switch and see what it does.

G

Goose

we have the starter grounded to the battery.and the brain is also grounded to the battery.

GIL

I am in no way trying to be a smart azz here, but, if Crammit442 tells u to check something w/total loss-u should check it/try it. He really is the final authority w/it comes to MSD T/L. When everyone else's stuff is crapped out in saltwater, his is doing just fine. Now that I said that-his chit won't start tonight. LOL

crammit442

makin' legs
I am in no way trying to be a smart azz here, but, if Crammit442 tells u to check something w/total loss-u should check it/try it. He really is the final authority w/it comes to MSD T/L. When everyone else's stuff is crapped out in saltwater, his is doing just fine. Now that I said that-his chit won't start tonight. LOL

I'm definitely NOT the final word or the authority on MSD. I just took what Tricky showed me and made it work with my boat and I'm pretty careful about how I install it. I had NO experience with it five years ago. I've been pretty fortunate with it so far. Thanks for the jinx, Gil!!!!!:scratchchin:

GIL

I'm definitely NOT the final word or the authority on MSD. I just took what Tricky showed me and made it work with my boat and I'm pretty careful about how I install it. I had NO experience with it five years ago. I've been pretty fortunate with it so far. Thanks for the jinx, Gil!!!!!:scratchchin:

Any time I can help-just let me know. 1 year ago I knew nothing about TL and now I have done some systems and they work fine as well.(thanks to the school of Crammit442).

Any time I can help-just let me know. 1 year ago I knew nothing about TL and now I have done some systems and they work fine as well.(thanks to the school of Crammit442).
knock on wood, gils over the phone instruction got a system up and running down here. works really well. now for 2 more.

Top Bottom