MTB lever for throttle

I saw a cool complete thread on after market throttles but I can't find it again to add my info for anyone considering a mountain bike or BMX bike brake lever as a throttle. I know it's been done before but FYI, the Tecktro one is a good choice because the threads are larger than most at 10mm (but the wrong pitch). I tapped the hole to a 10mm x 1.25 pitch thread (same as cables for mid year Kawis and adapters) and my cable threaded in well. Some of these levers have adjustable throw and most have adjustable resting position. You Yamaha guys probably have even more options if you don't use the adapter.

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
I went to rob some off of the kids discarded MTN bikes.

but they all had to remove the handgrip and then slide over the bar..

so I havent messed with one yet, I need to order a better quality one with a removeable bar clamp I guess.

looks very promising though.

Nice short lever blade!
Most after market levers have a smaller barrel adjuster but could still work for Yamaha and other cables with smaller threads. Mine was free from the extra parts bin at my bike shop but even new they are only around $20. Beats $50-80 for PWC ones.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I used a regular v-brake lever...cost about $13 for two and they threaded right onto my cable without any problems. The only problem I ran into was that the cable reach was slightly different so I had to bend the cable adjustment plate in the engine bay a bit.

I also modified the v-brake lever recently too because full throttle was at the bar and 90% of the time the lever would hit my middle finger. I did a bit of grinding on the lever stop so that full throttle would be where the lever hit my finger...:arms:

dia-tech "Dirt Harry" is a nice lever for both throttle and trim..super cheap too like $15 retail and they have a hinged bar clamp
dirtharrylevers.gif

Top Bottom