Freestyle My interpretation of a setup wake

With help from Eric Malone, I will try to explain the way i do my setup wakes. Setup wakes differ when doing different types of tricks. First lets talk about the Backflip setup wake;

2012-08-31_00-40-40_368.jpg

1. To start a setup wake, approach the first turn a a slow to mid constant rate.
2. Begin your sharp 50 Degree angle.
3. Watch both sides of the wake and begin to judge a good time to start your 180 Degree turn.
4. Make your 180 degree turn and approach the setup wake at any speed you desire.
5. For backflips I usually prehop and start the rocker momentum right before hitting the wave, plant the nose right into the beginning of the setup wake.
6. Hit the wake when both sides of your wake come together.

Last edited:
Flatspins / Barrel Rolls / Nosestabs;

Unlike the backflip the first setup wake turn is not as aggressive, yet the second turn is very aggressive. This makes the wake more open to come in from a side angle which is better for these types of tricks instead of coming straight in like you do for a backflip.

2012-08-31_00-40-57_425.jpg

1. Like a backflip setup wake approach the first turn at a slow to mid constant rate.
2. Make the turn broader than the backflip setup wake, more at a 70 degree angle.
3. Maintain a straight line until you feel that the setup wake is beginning to setup.
4. Make a sharp 180 degree angle.
4. Get right into the wake you just created in step 3 and head towards your premature setup wake.
5. Right when the setup wake is about to setup ride into the pocket that this type of setup wake creates and throw a trick.

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
If you could get a first person view shot of which "wave" to hit, I hit the 2nd one.... That wrong? It seems to be much bigger

DarkWater

Down Side Up
If you could get a first person view shot of which "wave" to hit, I hit the 2nd one.... That wrong? It seems to be much bigger

Dev... fill this thread with photos and descriptions... every one i know is unsure of their set up wakes!
I always hit the second wave, but question myself constantly.

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
I do the first wave for flips too. And not a full U, more like a 145*U. 2nd wave is all retarded and crooked. Hardest part is turning around in time and at the right speed to hit it just right.

x3 i tried the barrel roll wake setup you did and wow i can get some great air now. I've been hitting it wrong the whole time.

Top Bottom