New guy! New ski! Help a newbie?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello all! I've always wanted a standup and finally pulled the trigger and bought one. It's a 87 js550 that the previous owner just finished painting and "freshining" up. It's all stock minus a sbn carb.

The previous owner said after he put the sbn carb on it it would bog up top. I checked compression,125 on both. It started and ran yesterday when inspecting it. Started this morning also. When I went to the lake we put it in the water and it started right up. Rode it about 20-30 seconds and it died. Wouldn't restart. If you gave it full throttle it would act like it wants to run but would bogg and die. We pulled it back home,and out of the water it fired right back up.

I'm going to rebuild the carb and check/change the jets. Can anyone recommend the proper jets? I'm at sea level if that matters. I'm hoping this will solve my problem.

I'm a mechanic for a living,but have little to no 2stroke knowledge. So any suggestions/help are greatly appriciated!

Here's the ski-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 23

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Could be the filters and would recommend rebuild like you said.Basically a stock 550.Look on PWCtoday for carb specs,jetting should be there for you. And welcome

Last edited:
Well I pulled the carb apart,didn't really see any issues. Still waiting for the rebuild kit to show up. It has a 135main and 115pilot. I guess I'll just leave those in there and see what happens.

Yeah sounds like it's running very lean. Not getting enough fuel to run in the water. Also remember cold weather will make it run a bit leaner than hot weather. Compression is a bit low, but if it runs might as well get the tuning straightened out before you do the top end.

Nice ski BTW! Be prepared for an addiction.

It doesn't have a primer that I'm aware of.

When trying to start it the other day I was getting absolutely no fuel out of the carb. After taking it apart and putting it back together(with all the old gaskets and stuff). It's pouring fuel. Way to much, Immediately floods it.

I'm going to rebuild it when the new kit gets here and change to the smaller recommended jets.

Just out of curiosity are these jets recommended from personal experience?

Kohldanielzimmer

Sierra Nevada Runoff Rider
Site Supporter
Yes that recommendation is from my personal experience. Same engine (86-91 Piston Port 550). Jetting is only a piece to the puzzle make sure you buy a new needle and seat. I would also get the 65 gram and 80 gram springs for experimentation.

You could also pull the choke instead of pump the primer.. if it gets worse its already too rich, if it suddenly starts running better, it's running lean.

Rebuild the carb, and make sure you using the original spring and lever otherwise your pop-off pressure will be way off.

If you don't have a pop-off tester you are going to want to get one when you rebuild the carb. You can also make one, but they are handy. I even use mine for pressure testing to check crank seals.

Top Bottom