650/X-2 New to 650sx and could use a little quidance

Hey guys, so the other day I just picked up a 1988 650sx. The thing is near mint and so clean! Apparently only used like 2 times a year for 8 years. And I believe him because it's mint. With that said, it's also stock :(

I don't want a super fast ski that pulls your arms off per say, I'm mostly looking into handling upgrades as reliability is a must with me. So here's my questions anyways.

I've heard of guys putting sxr or js550 sponsons on their 650sx. Does it make a big difference like they are saying? They talk about it being night and day difference. Is it worth it?

What kind of rideplate and pump should I have? I want more bottom end than top speed, but I don't want to make it porpoise either, just a happy medium which handles nice. Anything like that out there?

I've been playing with the idea of a custom handpole. I would be making it myself and I have all the capabilities to weld and machine etc. Are therer any good plans on here for one? If so which one do you recommend?

My friend has dual carbs of the zxi he said I could have. Would they work on a 650 with the right manifold and settings of course? Would it be worth while? It is free don't forget.

And lastly, the stock exhaust mod that guys are doing, does it make my ski run hotter? Therefore less reliable? What are the drawbacks to it? I could do that very easily as I have all the parts laying around but if it's going to make my ski a time bomb I'm not interested.

I know my last two are about power but I just thought of them. Anyways, mostly noob questions and I'll look like an idiot but hey, gotta start somewhere. I'm more of a motocross guy but I'm really getting into stand ups, they are so much fun! Can't wait to see if you guys can answer some of my questions and get me some new parts!

Thanks

Id like to see someone try the sponsons. I ride my buddies 550 and it seems so keep the pump in the water around the bouys. Go for it!

Stock length ride plate, quadrafin is a nice one. I run a stock pump with a scoop intake(a must on lakes) and a 9/17 skat track cut back prop(would never ride with anything different)

PLD from pwctoday makes a pretty awesome tube style, I love it. Maybe model something off of that idea?

I run single carb(SBN44) 1. great throttle response when tuned and less parts to buy

Ive never done the mod or know anyone who has done it. If you can find a westcoast or coffman for cheap scoop it up

DUAL COOLING IS RECOMMENDED

CHEERS!

Use atleast one of the carbs if there 38mm kehins. You have the run for ever 28mm kehin they'll bolt right up your supposed to open the 28mm intake up with a dremel
Which l would do if you get a pipe, unless you wana go 50mph you don't need a factory pipe. My o.p winged channled plate hooks up it still porpoises a little but l havn't shimmed the plate down 1/4"

Sbn44 is a great carb and more power than one 38 and more gas also. You would need a carb intake adaptor from hotproducts and a throttle relocator bracket to make it work not bolt on and go

650 is a very fun ski with a factory pipe real fast if its running right

Also you want some aftermarket handle bars and finger throttle
Aftermarket pole spring to make the pole light ,that pld pole is pretty neat l was looking at one possibly

Last edited:
0001065.jpgYou will have to adjust the zxi carb carbs, might get lucky with just one.
You won't lose any reliability with a westcoast or coffmans pipe it will run better
I wouldn't waste the time with stock exhaust mod

They got these umi motorcross style handle bars with a crossbar and pad a little costley after shipping
Nice pieces though

Last edited:
Top Bottom