650/X-2 new to 650sx.. need exhaust help!

So about 6 months ago I bought an '87 650sx and the seller recommended this forum if I had any questions. i'm not completly clueless with Jet skis (been riding sit downs for a while), but I just cant seem to figure out this exhaust.

To start, the ski is extremly loud and this wouldn't bother me except I go out on the water early and my neighbors would complain.

The seller told me that the ski had a Factory pipe, but I pulled it out and it seems to look just like the stock pipe, (correct me if im wrong).

20130321_175827.jpg

Now I was thinking the loud sound could be due to a gutted out waterbox. the seller had no mention of a aftermarket box but this does not look like the one in the manual, it look more like the west coast though there are no WC markings/label. I also saw that there is a bolt in the side, what is its purpose?
20130321_175810.jpg

I found that there are 3 water inputs into the exhaust pipe and one has been welded shut. could the sound be due to it running dryer? I could definitly drill it out if neccesary.
20130321_175858.jpg

I just really need to get this ski quiet before the summer comes, any help is appreciated!

And if this even matters, my mods are:

skat trak prop
mikuni carb
west coast head
ocean pro ride plate
west coat intake grate
west coast intake manifold
k and n air filter

That doesn't look like the stock waterbox. Putting a stock waterbox in there would make it much quieter and you shouldn't lose any power. That fitting on the pipe is welded because they modded the pipe. The hole inside the head pipe was probably welded shut and drilled smaller to dry out the pipe a little bit giving a slight power gain. But the pipe being modded doesn't make it much louder. So all that being said you need to get a stock waterbox and it will fix you noise problem.

Well I mean it gives you a tiny tiny tiny bit of power gain but when you weigh out the noise from the small amount of power u gain from a AM waterbox. It's not worth it. You can find them for about $20-$40 depending on how lucky you can get.

going to the stock box will make it more quiet. you also mentioned a bolt in it's side. theres a chance there used to be a barb fitting and a water line going in which would quiet down the box.

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
Dang...that sucks I woulda given you one for the price of shipping.

I have a drilled waterbox on my X2 and it wasn't horribly loud at all.

Sorry the seller told you it was a Factory Pipe on the ski, he may have meant it is a stock modded pipe which is what you have there. It is a cheap way to gain a little more power.

Search "stock pipe mod" on pwctoday.com you will find a lot more info over there on these skis anyway.

Top Bottom