Ok now im freaking out!!!

Ok so im going to try and explain this as best as i can so here goes...., i was looking into my sxr exhaust outlet from the back and noticed some bubbly black residue almost looked like a growth around the inside of the aluminum exhaust pipe that is inside the hull, when i poked at it it seemed to have a crunch to it, after further probing it started to chip off easily and started to expose the aluminum pipe, a small sample was taken out and %100 for sure its expanding foam residue, after further examination of both ends of the pipe i noticed that its only in the back half of the pipe and the engine compartment side is clean, this can mean only one thing, im afraid that when the previous owner cut into the sides to install the footholds that he may have breached the exhaust tube :( hence the expanding foam leaking into the exhaust pipe, i plan to clean out the pipe but im worried that during riding the exhaust/ water could find its way into the hull under the tray or something or is expanding foam a good water sealant? Even if it does wouldnt it just find its way past the firewall through that little hole and get sucked up by the bilge? I believe the foam in the sxr hull is closed cell foam anyway and wouldnt absorb enough water to sink the ski, i really dont want to tear out the footholds this season since the season is fast approaching, any advice would be great.. Somebody please tell me there exhaust outlet shows signs of this too possible from some sloppy kawasaki manufacturing or something???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 158
Yeah its a possibility he cut into the exhaust tube while cutting out part of the tray for the footholds. Then he may have poured some 2 part foam on the back side of the footholds, finding its way there. I have heard of Kawasaki using closed cell foam and doesnt get wet but I havent seen it myself. I think any 2 part foam will eventually get wet regardless if its closed cell.

Expanded polystyrene is the only foam I know that wont get wet as it's actually plastic. I cant imagine kawasaki using this in the tray because polystyrene isn't a chemical reaction, but rather uses a mold to get the needed shape. Not really cost effective for kawasaki.

I wouldn't worry too much about the foam getting wet. It doesn't happen in just a few rides, the water would take time to migrate its way from the exhaust tube to maybe the other side of the tray. Slowly gaining weight. I would try to clean it up nice in there, try to find the hole, attempt to repair it and not sweat it. You probably wont notice the extra weight on a already heavy SXR.

As for repairing it, welding may be a little sketchy, best bet probably to clean it up real good, hit it with stainless steel wire brush and quickly epoxy it. Aluminum oxidizes quickly.

I cut through mine, putting in footholds,pulled it out, welded it up and all was good not a big deal.
Cheers Ray

You were able to remove the exhaust from the hull with no serious problems? If OP can do that, that would be the best way to do it. Can also get a eye in there to see how wet it got.

Fiberglass repairs are easy. Just remember you cant mess it up where you can't fix it. Im wondering if raddog was able to remove the exhaust pipe from the hull to weld it. That would mean removing the glue that holds it in at the bulkhead and possibly drill out the rivets in the rear that hold the exhaust flange on. Then with a wood block tap the exhaust from inside the engine compartment to out the back. This would mean just gluing it back in, no fiberglass work. Im really just guessing here because I never owned a SXR hull and don't know how it was assembled. Im assuming like all other skis. Hopefully raddog will come back soon and let you know how he did it. First though, i'd clean up that exhaust and verify if theres even a hole.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
It's going to be bit of work but its probably worth your time to plug on end with a standard pipe plug then build a plug for the other end with a barbed fitting so you can pressurize the tube to see if it is compromised.

Raddog please get back to me on how you pulled this pipe out, i recently removed the foothold and carved at the foam to reveal the pipe and it looks like the guy went ape s#i+ with a sawzall,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 104
Ok mine was in a super jet, but what I did was drill out the rivets on the exhaust flange, knocked the pipe from the engine bay with a mallet and block of wood, gave the pipe to a buddy who welds aluminum, got it back within a 1/2 hr, gooped the back of the flange with 3M 5200 and reinserted, then 5200'ed the pipe in the engine bay firewall. Dirt simple and I carved up the pipe real good doing the BOB holds.
Cheers Ray

Last edited:
Ok thank you for replying so fast but since my last post i cut out the wall and defoamed the entire right side and ripped the pipe out, and i boy was i wrong, not only did he cut my pipe but he cut it clean in half, literally another 1/8" and he would have went through the other side of the ski, hard parts over, now to just get the pipe welded and try and navigate a whole pipe through either end....that may be the hard part... But oh well some people are idiots, once the new pipe is in the rest should be cake....

Heres the pipe... Mind you i did no further cuting to this pipe, he went straight through, all the foam on the right side of the ski is gone, and boy was it wet, any way to help the foam under the tray dry? It will be a few days untill i get around to re assembling everything so that should take care of it, any drying tips would help tho, and my buddys geting me some hilti expanding foam from work, apparently rele good stuff they use for windows, is that ok to use to replace everything that i just removed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 71
Heres the pipe... Mind you i did no further cuting to this pipe, he went straight through, all the foam on the right side of the ski is gone, and boy was it wet, any way to help the foam under the tray dry? It will be a few days untill i get around to re assembling everything so that should take care of it, any drying tips would help tho, and my buddys geting me some hilti expanding foam from work, apparently rele good stuff they use for windows, is that ok to use to replace everything that i just removed?

You need to use a two part foam in a 2-4lb density. US composites sells it. I found some locally at a plastics store in a 3lb density made by Smooth-ON.

http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=10_1122

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

If the foam is two part (activated, like an epoxy) then it should work okay, however if it needs air to expand and setup it will not work very well. You can't just use spray foam from a hardware store, it will not expand like it should. I would try 4lb expanding foam from U.S. Composites, it works very well and is pretty strong stuff, i believe it is open cell tho so not very water resistant. Someone else might have a better suggestion on what foam to use...

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Use a 4" grinder to cut the fiberglass and only go 1/4" - 1/2" deep. This doesn't help OP now but this problem could have been easily avoided with a better choice of tools.

Yes but if you read the first post youll learn that i didnt cut it so tell that to the previous owner who made the mistake, currently getting the pipe welded and tray is clean ready to be seealed up and turfed, thanks for everyones help

Ok all welded up and ready for re-install and turfs on its way, thanks guys for all your input, deff worth all this effort for peace of mind

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom