Other Older Skis, Insurance is useless –Alternative is????

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
I own 6 older (1993-2000) pwc (2 ill be selling soon) that I store in my attached apartment garage. All I wanted was fire and theft to cover them in my garage.

After calling 6 insurance companies I have realized insurance for old skis is not a option.
If I ever need to make a claim they only give you book value. After the $150 or so yearly policy price on
Each ski and then the 250-500 dollar deductable, Id get back about $500-700 dollars or so. Example, even though
My 93 WB1 is worth $4000 with the mods, they said book value is 900-1000.

Unless someone knows of a “umbrella” insurance policy that will cover all items in my garage
regardless of what they are, im S-O-L.

My renters insurance covers $30,000 but not my skis (Bull Crap Insurance companies)

I looked at installing something like brinks but that will cost about $500 a year
With a phone connection and monthly fee.

So after thinking, I believe the only alternative is to install a video survallence system
Like to logitec alert 750E.
What I like is 2 things. I can see video on the cams on my phone or over the net and
It will email or sms text you if movement is detected. I lock my garage from the inside
And have some locking devices on the skis to slow people down.

The main reason for all this is Im going away for 10 days and Id like piece of mind.
Between being texted of motion in garage and being able to see video of my garage
And my babies, I will feel better.

Anyone else feel like this???

But with all this said, I think the odds of someone having the balls to come into the apartment complex and take 5-10 minutes to hual out my skis
Is damn slim.

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
They were the first I called... the guy said they would only give book value... you may want to double check to be safe.
also, they dont insure stand ups... so my 2 sj were out with them.

tom21

havin fun
I had a security system once that notified me and the problem was it would sometimes off, say a mouse tripped it or something and so after awhile I grew accustomed to ignoring the false alarms, also the middle of the night thing got old. the first time I jumped up and raced out to the shop only to find nothing.

lets say you did see someone stealing your :):):):), how long do you think before the police responded to it?

Not saying to not do everything you can to protect your valuables Im just trying to point out some loopholes in your thinking so you can better protect yourself.

you need to find someone to get "stated" coverage from. basically you name the value and they name the price. collectors cars get this type. you may need to provide pictures and receipts to prove what you have and it very well may be you cant get it but that is what I have done for a car at least.

lastly whats a 10 day trip/vacation without skis??? not a fun one lol j/k

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
going to visit family 1200 miles away... wedding and all that crap... trust me, id rather just stay home and use my 10 days off to be on the lake, unfortunatly my woman sees it a bit different, but she does love to ride stand ups, but I digress ;-)

supposivly the logitecs are good, the fact I can see my garage in real time makes me feel a bit better... "yep! theyre still in there! ;-)"

so far I found no one who will insure my skis for real value.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
... so apparently they will not insure mine now. when i first got my auto policy i asked about pwc insurance and stated my coverage at 10k. got a quote for like 350 every 6 months. i just called again to check because you had me wondering. they will not cover the pwc if there is any performance mods to it.... thats not gonna work for me lol.

we need ocd to chime in, i think he has some big money insurance on his trinity

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
... so apparently they will not insure mine now. when i first got my auto policy i asked about pwc insurance and stated my coverage at 10k. got a quote for like 350 every 6 months. i just called again to check because you had me wondering. they will not cover the pwc if there is any performance mods to it.... thats not gonna work for me lol.

we need ocd to chime in, i think he has some big money insurance on his trinity

The problem with insuring an aftermarket hull is this: You can't do it if you have a homebuilt title (aka you did it the legal way). No one will insure a homebuilt title.

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
PTZ webcams linked to remote solonoid fired weapons is where its at!

im diggin that idea!

After even more questioning to the insurance companies Im even MORE assured the ONLY piece of mine we can have is via surveillance monitoring.
Also, I can see what my chiuaua is doing when Im not home

chiuaua7lp.png

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
i really dont understand why you cant take out a set amount of insurance out on what ever you want. im not asking for something for free. ill pay the price

Exactly!!!!

I just got off the phone with my State Farm and get this, I asked what if I had a few engines in my garage worth 2-3k each and they are not in a vehicle… are they covered for fire and theft??? NOPE! There is NO WAY at least from State Farm I can cover my engines and parts….

Like I said, security cameras and my own monitoring is all I can do.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Id love to hear if anyone who has bought a policy with high ($10k+) coverage on a standup PWC has ever been paid out the agreed value in the event of a claim. There are so many loopholes for the INS company to get out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont think anyone would never see $1 more then bluebook value.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Id love to hear if anyone who has bought a policy with high ($10k+) coverage on a standup PWC has ever been paid out the agreed value in the event of a claim. There are so many loopholes for the INS company to get out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont think anyone would never see $1 more then bluebook value.

And this is exactly why they will not insure a vessel with a homebuilt title & HIN. They cannot blue book it.

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
im an electronic tech.... i got to thinking... high voltage lines all over the garage.. ;-)

please no one bring up legal issues here... they dont scare me ;-)
dont mess with texas.. and dont mess with my skis!

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
hardened steel cables thought big lug bolts
anchored into the floor around driveshafts
and through bedplates of spare motors?

Top Bottom