one flatwater backflip (that's it)

freestylegeek

waiting...
Well, tonight was the best and worst ride ever. On the good side, I hit a flatwater backflip on my 5th attempt! I came out of the tray before the nose went in, but I subbed out of it. I was soooo stoked, I lined back up and tried another - FAIL! The next 20 that I tried all sucked donkey balls because of the suuuuuuuuuuper delayed response with my prop. By the time I pulled out of the water, I was too tired to complain anymore.

So, if I can get a prop that lets my engine get up into the rev range quicker, I have a feeling I'll be able to nose them in consistently.

I'm so pumped and pissed right now that I don't even know what to say.

IKSTEJ

BOGIE
Well, tonight was the best and worst ride ever. On the good side, I hit a flatwater backflip on my 5th attempt! I came out of the tray before the nose went in, but I subbed out of it. I was soooo stoked, I lined back up and tried another - FAIL! The next 20 that I tried all sucked donkey balls because of the suuuuuuuuuuper delayed response with my prop. By the time I pulled out of the water, I was too tired to complain anymore.

So, if I can get a prop that lets my engine get up into the rev range quicker, I have a feeling I'll be able to nose them in consistently.

I'm so pumped and pissed right now that I don't even know what to say.

So what was the key? Earlier start?
did any of the stuff we talked about help??
Congrats though, pretty impressive in a 800 :) yer a bad dude :)

freestylegeek

waiting...
So what was the key? Earlier start?
did any of the stuff we talked about help??
Congrats though, pretty impressive in a 800 :) yer a bad dude :)

Well, the change in wake set-up helped me get on the gas earlier, as well as the stare at the tray - then whip your head and spot the landing technique. I was on the gas for a loooooooooooooong time (kinda freaked me out!) I would say that's the key for an 800cc engine and an almost stock weight hull - no blipping the throttle, it's gotta be on the bar for a good 2 seconds.

I'll be calling you on Monday to chew you out about how far off the 13-19 pitch is for my motor. I can't imagine how much low-end torque an Xscream 800 makes in order to pull that prop WITH a tbm stuffer!!

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Well, the change in wake set-up helped me get on the gas earlier, as well as the stare at the tray - then whip your head and spot the landing technique. I was on the gas for a loooooooooooooong time (kinda freaked me out!) I would say that's the key for an 800cc engine and an almost stock weight hull - no blipping the throttle, it's gotta be on the bar for a good 2 seconds.

I'll be calling you on Monday to chew you out about how far off the 13-19 pitch is for my motor. I can't imagine how much low-end torque an Xscream 800 makes in order to pull that prop WITH a tbm stuffer!!
TRUST ME-before u ditch the prop-try the prop WITHOUT the TBM.

IKSTEJ

BOGIE

I guess the point is you finally got 1

our little 800's pullin a 15/21 :)

I wonder if you need to rejet now?
or the washer trick, I think you could tune it in.....??

freestylegeek

waiting...
I guess the point is you finally got 1

our little 800's pullin a 15/21 :)

I wonder if you need to rejet now?
or the washer trick, I think you could tune it in.....??

It almost feels like I need to re-jet. I tuned a bunch tonight and ended up at 1-1/2 low speed and 1-1/2 high speed. I'll probably try to talk to Chuckie or Radney next week and see if anything needs to be done.

Your "little" 800 is a freak of nature!!

freestylegeek

waiting...
When you load the pump, Chuck would say you have to richen it up, and if you can't get it, then play with prop and nozzle...
Interesting...It definitely needed more fuel. I couldn't get it to really 'burble' even though I had the highs out at 2 turns on one occasion. Maybe a re-jet is in order.

cambo au

TRYING TO LEARN

congrats
can you let us all in on this stare at the tray thing
i have noticed that pierre leaves the wave looking at his tray when he is doing backflip variations dose it help you rotate quicker?

parrdaddy

No he will not!
Dude, quit screwin around and make it happen! It's about to freeze over up there so time is not on your side. Now, with that being said......squat more before leaving the water......like a bunch, so much that is doesn't feel natural, then pop out straight in the air and look for the water. Works every time (on other peoples skis, like Bogie's and Carbonjet's) :arms:

Remember this formula: Less power and heavy ski = more squat and WFO sooner. Or, if you're on the thunder pumpkin, you pretty much just have to pull the trigger and hang on cuz it's doing a back flip....with or without you :27:

carbonjet

::::::::::::::::::
Dude, quit screwin around and make it happen! It's about to freeze over up there so time is not on your side. Now, with that being said......squat more before leaving the water......like a bunch, so much that is doesn't feel natural, then pop out straight in the air and look for the water. Works every time (on other peoples skis, like Bogie's and Carbonjet's) :arms:

Remember this formula: Less power and heavy ski = more squat and WFO sooner. Or, if you're on the thunder pumpkin, you pretty much just have to pull the trigger and hang on cuz it's doing a back flip....with or without you :27:

:party:

freestylegeek

waiting...
congrats
can you let us all in on this stare at the tray thing
i have noticed that pierre leaves the wave looking at his tray when he is doing backflip variations dose it help you rotate quicker?

Basically, you keep looking forward as your 'tossing' the ski over your head, and therefore you end up watching the tray/between your ankles as it leaves the set-up wave. After that, the only thing you can do is whip your head and spot the landing. In order to look far enough, you have to thrust your mid section towards the bars, which causes you to arch your back and pull all your mass toward the center of the ski - helping it spin faster.

I have no idea if this consistently works or not since I've only ever done ONE! :)

freestylegeek

waiting...

I hear ya on the squat thing. I'm thinking that I almost need to get my butt on the gunwales before I launch. It's all part of the timing thing, and I need to get my prop set-up working right first before I start fiddling with my timing.

I specifically have not ridden the thunder pumpkin because I wanted to nail the backy on my boat first (forcing me to have perfect technique). That way, when I do get a chance to get on a 1000cc monster, I'll be able to flip it like nothing.

Top Bottom