Paint prep question

I am getting ready to repaint my SJ. It has already been painted it the past. It was primed over the gelcoat and then a single stage paint was sprayed. How much should I sand off to repaint? Can I just sand the existing paint and spray right over it? Should I prime it again?

I have painted skis in the past with pretty good results, but I have always just primed and painted over the OEM gelcoat.

If the present finish is in good shape, you should be able to sand it (400 grit) and paint over it. I'd probably prime it, if for no other reason than to get a uniform color underneath.
If the old paint is mulitple colors/layers and you plan on multiple colors, I'd sand down to fiberglass (150 to 220 grit) and start fresh with primer so you don't get too thick a film build.

If you didn't do the original paint, I'd still sand to fiberglass just so you know you won't have adhesion problems.
I would want to make sure it is done right, and that means sand off all the old paint.

surfjetlouie

R.I.P. 11/27/2008
sand 100 grit to take any imperfection off fill with glazing putty sand again and then prime using 2 or 3 coat of primer and try to have 2 color of primer one dark grey one light and wet sand 220 grit in between coat. then spray light coat of 3 or 4 paint and wet sand in between coat 320 400 and coat before last wet sand using 600 and let air dry for few hrs wip any dust and you will get a nice finish.

Here's what Xotic Colours says:
An O.E.M. finish in sound condition, uniform thickness, not exceeding 7 to 8 mils can be prepared using 400 grit wet or 320 dry sandpaper. We suggest wet sanding throughout your project.

Note: If other than an O.E.M. finish, we recommend stripping to the bare substrate using liquid strippers, media blasting, power tools, etc

sand 100 grit to take any imperfection off fill with glazing putty sand again and then prime using 2 or 3 coat of primer and try to have 2 color of primer one dark grey one light and wet sand 220 grit in between coat. then spray light coat of 3 or 4 paint and wet sand in between coat 320 400 and coat before last wet sand using 600 and let air dry for few hrs wip any dust and you will get a nice finish.

I've only done clearcoat systems, but I think you have to go a lot finer than 600 grit for your final colorsanding. Most clearcoats you would sand 1000, 1500, 2000 and then polish. Some of it depends on color, like I think black is the hardest to get out the sanding scratches as they show up best on a black finish. If you don't get much orange peel, you can leave your clear without sanding and it will look nice.
If you reduce it well and flow it out, you may not really need to colorsand. All depends on the end result you are looking for, the equpiment you have etc.

I used a polyester primer in the past (evercoat featherfill) with pretty good results. I know some say to use an epoxy based primer. Which is better?

my understanding is that epoxy will adhere better. I think some folks (cars) use epoxy primer and then put body filler and easier-sanding primer over top of that.
I get a lot of my information on www.paintucation.com in the forum section. he also sells some very good videos with tips and tricks for painting. Directed more towards cars, but a lot of the forum guys do custom work and can help out with a lot of questions.

I'm using epoxy primer only on my ski, but that's the only primer Xotic makes. The primer doens't have to be in the same paint line as your topcoats since you'll rely on the sanding for adhesion, but I'm just sticking to their system.

painting

ive painted quit a bit and if i were you id sand everything good with llike 180 grit/200 and then prime it with "Primeire Surfacer" its the yellow stuff, two coats, one med and then heavy and then take a darker color/ paint and mist the whole ski( guide coat)or just a etching Primer then wet sand with 400 grit, making sure to get all of that light mist off, that will help you sand everything even and also show you any imperfection you'll have where you can fill it with glaze. Once everything is wet sanded and smooth clean and spray your color and clear , Then at last if you have orange peel wet sand with 1500 or if its dark blue/green or esp black use 1500 at first to knock down the orange peel and then switch to 2000 grit .. that'll then rub and polish out nice.

Thanks for all the good info here. It seems that many also recommend a sealer on top of the primer...and apparently there are some primer/sealers all in one. Any input on that?

Top Bottom