Paint Stripper on Fiberglass

Woody

Need to save my money!!
The guy who owned my square before I did sprayed the ski with like a paint or epoxy...now its chipping off everywhere so I want to do it right.

I went to Home Depot to ask what they suggested for removing this epoxy off a fiberglass jetski...and he gave me this: http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Tool...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

i purchased it, thinking that the home depot guy knew what the hell he was talking about, and i read on the back under helpful tips:

Do not mix with any other product. For best results, use in temperatures between 65°F and 85°F and away from strong breeze and hot sun. Protect surrounding areas with a heavy plastic drop cloth. Do not use on linoleum, plastic, rubber, asphalt tile, fiberglass or other synthetics.

It didn't say it in bold or anything...so i'm thinking i'm going to give it a shot on an old hood or something just to make sure it doesnt have a freak chemical reaction and like melts away the fiberglass...but would i be ok if I used this? If not does anybody have a suggestion (besides sanding and acetoning) on how to get all this old chipped junk removed?

cb82a0de-4561-40f2-9c41-47b911d66d12_300.jpg

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
If it contains Metheleyne Chloride keep it away from fiberglass or gelcoat,it breaks it down at a molecular level = not good

WFO Speedracer

Either a citrus based stripper or good old sandpaper,or if you are lucky and have a place in your area that does this type work blasting with plastic beads.

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
I have seen paint stripper used on Corvettes and it worked real good! I didn't really pay attention to what type or brand it was though. The hood test sound's like a good idea for sure but what about the bottom half of the hull it is SMC ?

Woody

Need to save my money!!
I have seen my friend literally melt an SMC RX-7 front bumper into a soft pile of goo with chemical paint stripper. Be careful....lol

thats what i was nervous about which is why i made the thread. thanks wfo...i'm gonna head back to home depot hootin n hollerin

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
the hood test will not tell you what it will do to the top deck.

hood = smc
top deck = fiberglass
bottom deck = smc
nose piesce = plastic

WFO Speedracer

We used straight Metheleyne chloride to clean up our paint guns when gelcoat kicked off too quick in them,if that gives you any idea of the strength of it.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I've used this on smc with no issues and it also says not to use on fiberglass. If anything, I thought it could have been a little stronger...

...or so you think. If it eats gelcoat, it'll eat fiberglass resin too. It may not have done any visual damage but I'd bet it made the resin bond a little weaker.

WFO Speedracer

...or so you think. If it eats gelcoat, it'll eat fiberglass resin too. It may not have done any visual damage but I'd bet it made the resin bond a little weaker.

This is why I posted that it weakens fiberglass and gelcoat on a molecular level,it will soften the hardest composites,the damage may not be visible to the naked eye,IMHO that is the worst kind of damage,the kind that you can't see.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I vote for sanding it. If you don't have the tools, a decent sander is a great investment. Even if you do strip all the paint off in a safe way, (stripper and safe generally don't go together well) you still have to scuff the surface before painting anyway.

Woody

Need to save my money!!
i realize that...but i've been sanding for days and then i still find air bubbles that i can hit with the screwdriver and then chip everythign off again...really frustrating

Top Bottom