Painting the engine compartment.... best paint?

modularjunk

day dreaming
Site Supporter
For all of you fellow OCD members who have painted the engine bay to make it look nice, what have you all used and how did it last?
I am looking at the interlux bilgekote paints that ive used in boats with great success.
I have searched and didnt really come up with any good threads about it so,
Let me hear what you guys are successfully using and it holds up.

Thanks guys

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Spatter trunk Paint seems to be working great so far.

318-DM102.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Duplicolor/318/DM102/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710634816&catargetid=1784155608&cadevice=c&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COWI-uiI2bwCFW9p7AodljQAqw

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Appliance epoxy is what I have always used. With proper application it holds up awesome. Here is the black: P1000064.JPG

I have also used white on a few boats that held up just as good, very resistant to spills and stains.

Ducky

Back in the game!
I have used regular oil-based rustoleum enamble and a sponge brush with good results. I am an AWFUL spray painter so that is why I went brush method and I was very pleased.

westjon86

Blast eet!
Same here, black pigment in the epoxy resin.

Attachments

• Reinforce1.jpeg
    Reinforce1.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Reinforce2.jpeg
    Reinforce2.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 58

modularjunk

day dreaming
Site Supporter
thanks guys!

@Quinc yea i end up not glassing the bottom bc i got talked out of it bc they say the rn bottom is stronger and mines perfect so no need for extra weight or else i def would have used the dye and glassed as that was my orig plan

used grey bilge-kote from west marine when I built my sc, and was not super impressed, it took forever to dry and was not available in white. On my current build I am just going to use brush on white rust oleum oil base. After doing some research there is a lot of people that paint offshore boat engine bays that use it with great results.

Oil based STINKS to high heaven, so dont do it in your garage if it is attached to your house. I did one this way and paid for it for two weeks. The rustoleum appliance epoxy works just as good and doesn't smell much at all and lasts just as long.

SM

Oil based STINKS to high heaven, so dont do it in your garage if it is attached to your house. I did one this way and paid for it for two weeks. The rustoleum appliance epoxy works just as good and doesn't smell much at all and lasts just as long.

SM
do they make appliance epoxy in a can that can be brushed on? I have only seen it in spray cans.

anything epoxy should work the best... it's hard to get anything to stick to smc and actually last... biggest thing is scuff it good and clean it better...

do they make appliance epoxy in a can that can be brushed on? I have only seen it in spray cans.

Both, I buy the spray to get into areas that are a pain with a brush, then hit the entire thing with a heavy coat on the brush. For 20 bucks, you can do at least 2-3 hulls. Plus, as already mentioned, epoxy will last great.

SM

I used the duplicolor trunk spatter paint like OCD Solutions recommended. I havent tested it yet though. It sprays like undercoat with white spatter in it. It's textured like undercoat as well, rough. It's been 50-60F in my garage and in some heavier spots it still hasn't dried. Spray a few coats, the first being a dry coat as the stuff lays light and gets blown around by trying to lay a heavier coat. It sprays fine and seems to stick better to itself rather than the primer coat.

The original paint in my WDK ROK is whats called Zolatone 20 series, and thats the real deal spatter paint they used in the old days for trunks. It's probably better and more durable, but it requires a pressure pot paint gun and something with a 2mm tip. The dupli-color trunk spatter paint matched it perfectly. Im giving it a few more days to be positive it's dry and then im laying a few coats of Duplicolor matte clear. A little bit more protection and lays on invisibly. A test panel proved it to smooth out the rough texture some.

Before I decided to do the trunk spatter, I was looking into high solids epoxy paints. Sherwin Williams carries some, although expensive. The epoxy paints are alot more resistant to solvents like gasoline.

Rustoleum makes appliance epoxy paint in a can. Don't mistake this paint as being extremely resistant to solvents. It's a water based epoxy, low VOC and is meant for kitchen appliances. It will work, but I wouldn't expect to last for years especially when you pull carb lines and drip gas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom