Pics of my break!!!!

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
I first wanted to thank everybody who visited, called, and commented while I was in the hospital. I got a ton of support from everyone and it really helped me get through the last week. We have a really great group of people and I'm happy to be a part of it, too bad I was so doped up on norco's and morphine I don't remember talking to half of you guys.
So the final diagonosis was a compound shattered tib / fib through the skin. My first surgery was on sunday and they cleaned out the wound. The 2nd was on wednesday and they put a titanium rod through my tibia and bolted it on the top and bottom.
The staples in the picture are where the doctor went in to put the rod and the screws. The stitched areas is where the bone went through the skin. They removed some pieces of the fibula but it still has a half inch gap in it.
I'm a little more mobile now cuz the pain isnt as bad, but its gonna be 8-10 weeks before i can walk on it and around 6 months for a somewhat full recovery. The surgery's both went very well and it looks like i'm gonna heal much sooner then expected.
Thanks again for everyones support. I was proud to be a part of the 07 surf slam. Is was by far the most insane freeride contest I've ever been a part of. The level of riding from all the riders was incredible. Everyone stepped it up for this and it was amazing.
Sorry, i don't have any pics of the bone poking out.

Attachments

• serlin repaired tibfib.jpg
    serlin repaired tibfib.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 141
  • Serlin shattered tibfib.jpg
    Serlin shattered tibfib.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Tib fib.jpg
    Tib fib.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 153
  • tib fib 2.jpg
    tib fib 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 132

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Mike, You're a lucky guy. A "Open Marine Fracture"' is the worst and the chance of infection is high. There was talk of amputation from the doc$ when I broke mine. The break was cake....the IV antibiotics almost killed me.

AAaaaah... what do they know? :moon:

Hope you feel better soon!

You know the older you get the harder the healing process is. I spent a year off with a broken femer and a friend of mine shattered both heels landing to hard in his tray( long time in a wheelchair)

I am so amazed you guys don't get hurt more often going to the heights you are now.

Get well soon Mike

P

PancakePete

I agree with Ronny. Mike sounded fine on the phone. I thought he would be flying.. but sounded fine.

Nice pics... When we were all there, the wtsuit was holding the bone in. so we did not get to see the bones sticking out !

Glad your getting better, and good thing nothing else was broken shattered ! :headbang:

YAMA CAT

Catnip Junkie!
Speedy recovery! Wow that Titanium Rod is Cool. Is the hardware permament or is it too soon to know? Best wishes and get well soon.

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
Looks like you got some excellent post-op alignment, should heal fast if they can keep the infection at bay. Don't be a tough guy about any fevers or anything like that, call the doc right away!

Get well soon!

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
When you get cast or a boot, throw some Blowsion stickers on there, get well soon.

Top Bottom