Piston Carnage.... never seen this before

parrdaddy

No he will not!
Mine ended up with no compression, after it snagged the ring it left a pretty good size gap to the exh. port. No air leak type symptoms, it just wouldn't run.

wow, never seen this before and almost missed it upon inspection...

ooo good job bro.
All this means is it's time to step the motor up a little :)
looks like a defect to me..
Ive seen alot of damaged piston and thats not real common.
Make sure you break everything down and check for frag.

Last edited:
yeah... I'm going through everything... replacing all gaskets, orings, pistons, rebuilding carbs and pulled stator to inspect it too... it was nice and rusty... got it cleaned up... i'm just waiting on parts now... they should be in tomorrow.

yeah... I'm going through everything... replacing all gaskets, orings, pistons, rebuilding carbs and pulled stator to inspect it too... it was nice and rusty... got it cleaned up... i'm just waiting on parts now... they should be in tomorrow.

got to love rust..Ive been running my stroker crank for a month and inspected the other day and the front cover had been leaking and the front snout of the billet crank is covered with rust...:doh:
Makes me sick(and its only been in fresh water)..

Conquistador

B-Saw
Site Supporter

I guess this means the starter was good & the motor just wouldn't turn over?

Werd up Fugly!!!!
Is that a crack behind all that mess and if so is it all the way through to the underside?

Possible water ingestion then cranking motor before knowing you had it full of water as we all do when out in the break before getting towed in.
Could have stressed the piston/rings long ago and Mr Murphy decided it was time and ring blowby spit it out the exaust port.....
The rings use the compression gasses on the upstroke on top, behind and bottom of the ring (as the piston comes to TDC) to push them against the bore properly seal (not forgetting a properly finished AND perfectly round bore)..... With that chunk gone you just lost any hope of compression!
Keep in mind the rings do get slammed pretty violently on the top and bottoms of the grooves and with wear you get ring flutter which can trash things as you now have hot gasses where they shouldn't and washing away lubricant for the piston.

Tsk tsk tsk... I told you homies a 3 month E box/ flywheel cover inspection should be implemented in your preventative maintenance schedule!

Unkle Toms Preventive Maintenance Services.... nice to see you are still alive, holmes..

Werd up Fugly!!!!
Is that a crack behind all that mess and if so is it all the way through to the underside?

Possible water ingestion then cranking motor before knowing you had it full of water as we all do when out in the break before getting towed in.
Could have stressed the piston/rings long ago and Mr Murphy decided it was time and ring blowby spit it out the exaust port.....
The rings use the compression gasses on the upstroke on top, behind and bottom of the ring (as the piston comes to TDC) to push them against the bore properly seal (not forgetting a properly finished AND perfectly round bore)..... With that chunk gone you just lost any hope of compression!
Keep in mind the rings do get slammed pretty violently on the top and bottoms of the grooves and with wear you get ring flutter which can trash things as you now have hot gasses where they shouldn't and washing away lubricant for the piston.

Tsk tsk tsk... I told you homies a 3 month E box/ flywheel cover inspection should be implemented in your preventative maintenance schedule!

are they cast for forged pistons slutty. i did that to a set off cast pistons from deto from to much compression and lean . what does the top off the piston look like did you say it was running like it had an air leak , if so it might off had one and leaned out enough for detonation

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
are they cast for forged pistons slutty. i did that to a set off cast pistons from deto from to much compression and lean . what does the top off the piston look like did you say it was running like it had an air leak , if so it might off had one and leaned out enough for detonation

We Have a winner!
All of the above will do this to a piston ring land...I've seen this many times as a long time engine builder.
Also poor quality fuel, old fuel.

Last edited:
it was a cast piston and there was no sign of detonation. The tops of the pistons were nice and brown, w/ no pitting around the edges. THe plugs never read anything but normal readings too.... THe ski did "run on" a few times, but it never stopped starting up and running due to the piston issue. It would not start due to the starter issue..

Top Bottom