Piston Damange,, this still ridable?

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
I pulled the head today to read piston wash after cleaning them yesterday. old pics in this thread.
Today i noticed a small hunk of the piston on the piston dome is missing on exhaust port side.

My question is about/ruffly how much longer is this going to last me? I have approx 4-6weeks left for my summer riding and i will be taking a break from the water and moving to Greenville,SC. Just would like it to last that long, before i send it out to be matched up with another piston set. Their is zero scoring on the cylinder, and the only noticeable mark is what looks like a carbon/deto roughness at the very lip of the cylinder in the squish area that the piston never really touches.. I plan on testing compression next chance i get.

my two concerns are where did that hunk of metal end up? out the exhaust or in the crankcase. (i realize you cant answer that, lol). this missing hunk damage is down to the ring.. What are the chances b/c of this extra ring exposure is the ring going to get cough on the porting, and shake rattle and roll.

What in the world would cause this? Extreme Deto? the chemicals in the carb cleaner i just soaked them in? or just tuff luck. :raincloud:

Pictures to follow: Wireless is extremely slow right now.

Attachments

• piston2.jpg
    piston2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 152
  • piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I pulled the head today to read piston wash after cleaning them yesterday. old pics in this thread.
Today i noticed a small hunk of the piston on the piston dome is missing on exhaust port side.

My question is about/ruffly how much longer is this going to last me? I have approx 4-6weeks left for my summer riding and i will be taking a break from the water and moving to Greenville,SC. Just would like it to last that long, before i send it out to be matched up with another piston set. Their is zero scoring on the cylinder, and the only noticeable mark is what looks like a carbon/deto roughness at the very lip of the cylinder in the squish area that the piston never really touches.. I plan on testing compression next chance i get.

my two concerns are where did that hunk of metal end up? out the exhaust or in the crankcase. (i realize you cant answer that, lol). this missing hunk damage is down to the ring.. What are the chances b/c of this extra ring exposure is the ring going to get cough on the porting, and shake rattle and roll.

What in the world would cause this? Extreme Deto? the chemicals in the carb cleaner i just soaked them in? or just tuff luck. :raincloud:

Pictures to follow: Wireless is extremely slow right now.

grif you coud probably ride it awhile longer, but if it does go..its going to go BIG

you could lose cases, crank, cyl, head rather than just needing a bore/hone and set of jugs..

that being said....if it were ME and I only had 2-3 rides left for a summer...I'd probably up my oil ratio a tad, no WOT and rock it :eek:mfg:

others

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
I wouldn't doubt it, there are alot of crappy people on this planet. And I am NOT saying it is or isn't, I was just sort of wondering out loud if you know what I mean.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
it jsut so happens it was green, and DID HAVE NEW CRANK BEARINGS installed :slap: :17:

Hey, good to know. So that would make this a lie?

24-7760superjet said:
24-7 ported cases and cylinder,sleeved.for sale is the motor and head only,new wisco complete top end,crank bearings,and seals.motor was running fine when taken apart,just waned to inspect and make it all new for next season,rings were gaped and clylinder was properly honed.

Sorry for the threadjack Grif, I am just now finding out this wonderfull new info about my "new" motor.

Last edited:

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Your fuel mixture might be too lean on the top end and the combustion temperature in that area exceeded the melting of aluminum.

Usually when that happens the upper ring will collapse from overheating and looses tension against the cylinder wall.

Replace it now before it snags the exhaust port and something worse happens.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I don't see anything there about a new or rebuilt crankshaft it says plainly crank bearings,I think there is a misunderstanding here on someones part.PS I have no dog in this fight ,just stating the obvious call me Captian if you want.

yamahammer

are you men the police?
lean on top or much compression maybe??- had a 760 do that to 2 sets of wisecos- too much compression (about 225psi on pump gas) and way too many long WFOs racing across lake-- ran like a screamin SOB till the pistons wore off and lost too much compression to run-- never did hurt cyl or rest of engine-- fun while it lasted

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Your fuel mixture might be too lean on the top end and the combustion temperature in that area exceeded the melting of aluminum.

Usually when that happens the upper ring will collapse from overheating and looses tension against the cylinder wall.

Replace it now before it snags the exhaust port and something worse happens.
Its defiantly been running lean. Just by plug check's they were coming out between a mix of white and red:skull2:
That been said, the last few times i'v brough it in after a short 5-10mins tunning runs,,, pull the hood, and most of the time i'd hear a cracking metel/pop sound.. my gess now it was the rings:raincloud:

lean on top or much compression maybe??- had a 760 do that to 2 sets of wisecos- too much compression (about 225psi on pump gas) and way too many long WFOs racing across lake-- ran like a screamin SOB till the pistons wore off and lost too much compression to run-- never did hurt cyl or rest of engine-- fun while it lasted
last i checked compression was dead on 180 in each hole. havent tested it in 6ish weeks, during this tuning process. but it has been seeming more and more slugish. Was going to test compression today, but blew the ada dome rings.

However i only ran 1 cart tank yesterday but was doing WOT runs longer than i have in the past to test plug chop. But still no more than 20-30seconds. I noticed it start to rev down after holding it WOT for ~15seconds. (i figured it was a fouled plug) turned around still WOT and beached it and check the plugs.. And they were on fire, couldn't touch them to even remove them for about 5mins. the rear one read lean. front plug was soking wet. however, my dome o-ring blew.:Flush:

current plan for now is to order a set of ada o-rings in the morning and pulling the cylender off tonight to inspect the rings. If they look fine. I'm leaning twards risking it.... as long as compression is still their. just going to be easy on it. figured eather way my season's going to be over. only have 4weeks.. and 3week turnarund on getting freshbore/pistons.

question: if it melted away.. does taht mean theirs a high chance it went stright out the exhost port? or i still may have a hunk of allum in the crankcase that must be removed?

Last edited:

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
it probably went out, don't worry about it. Something would have ******** the pot if it was still in there and you would hear it making noise.

Top Bottom