PITA Head, Cylinder Removal ?'s

DsmRacing

Wannabe Freerider
:banghead:The head came off, and I'm sure that will be a fun O-ring to find, but now the domes,spacer does not want to come off, a few of the bolts are corroded and I have tried WD-40 and 656 with no luck, and you really have to pry on it to get to budge. I feel like I'm going to damage the cylinder myself :banghead: Any ideas? How much of the motor do I need to remove to get the cylinder off? I have already loosed the exhaust mani, removed the upper B-pipe part, and looks at least the FA's need to come off as well. Do I need to remove the carbs too?

Thanks,

Clueless and Frustrated Here

DsmRacing said:
:banghead:The head came off, and I'm sure that will be a fun O-ring to find, but now the domes,spacer does not want to come off, a few of the bolts are corroded and I have tried WD-40 and 656 with no luck, and you really have to pry on it to get to budge. I feel like I'm going to damage the cylinder myself :banghead: Any ideas? How much of the motor do I need to remove to get the cylinder off? I have already loosed the exhaust mani, removed the upper B-pipe part, and looks at least the FA's need to come off as well. Do I need to remove the carbs too?

Thanks,

You might have one of the earlier heads with the one-piece design....i.e. the domes are not removable.

Did you remove the six (5 in your case) large nuts (or bolts) that hold the cyl to the cases.

There is one hidden by the exhaust manifold. You might need to pull the man. to get to it.

When you have everything free it should slide very easily.

-o

-O

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
DsmRacing said:

Thanks,

Chad, you can bring that by my place sometime I'll give it a look. I've moved to New Port Richey, I don't know if that's more of a drive or not.

DsmRacing

Wannabe Freerider
I'll post some pictures tonight. I pulled all of the nuts on top of the head, the girdle part and the head. I still have to pull the long nuts(?) holding the cylinder on.

Chad

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it's salt corrosion, don't use oil of any kind. All that will do is expand the salt & make a tighter fit. The best is heat!!!!!
for really bad corrosion I have used sulfuric acid, but be really carefull & wear personal protection. keep water handy to dilute the acid after use.

Ski ya, Paul

DsmRacing

Wannabe Freerider
There is a little corrosion that I can see, and only on a couple of the studs. I will try my butane lighter, after I clean the wd/656 up, and see if that helps. If not, I'll get a torch and try that.

Jr. Magoo's said:
If it's salt corrosion, don't use oil of any kind. All that will do is expand the salt & make a tighter fit. The best is heat!!!!!
for really bad corrosion I have used sulfuric acid, but be really carefull & wear personal protection. keep water handy to dilute the acid after use.

Ski ya, Paul

tech tip...didnt know that! :scared:

Top Bottom