popped rear crank seal out - and more! come on in..

C-Rock87

Water Junky
so the sj suddenly wants to die after any kind of entry under the water surface - most notably big stabs. it'll take a good 3 minutes of cranking to get it started again...

get to shore, pull the plugs and they're covered in water..

lay the ski over, crank for a couple minutes to get a fair amount of water out..

as i'm inspecting around i notice my rear crank seal is half way out. I know aftermarket seals are prone to this, so no biggy, i'll replace with OEM.

Question #1 - would a crank seal partially popped out suck enough water in to flood both cylinders? my water intake is minimal w/ slutty hood mod, a one-way, and a single rule 500.

next issue-

i get home and decide to do a compression test (snap-on gauge). rear reads 190, front reads 160... first thing that comes to mind is i've blown an o-ring.

i pull the head off and they look fine...

Question #2 - If it's not a blown o-ring, what else could cause a drop in the front cylinders compression?

my block is ingesting water somewhere...

Question #3 - If my pipe screws are too open, could too much water make it all the way back to the cylinders at low rpms, making it die?

took some pics - lots of carbon deposits on the top of the pistons which tells me i'm running rich... what else can you see?

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 888.jpg
    888.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 41

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
well we have seen this on a kawi 650 as far as the water sucking in through the crank seal I could not tell by the pic but it should be on the same end as the seal is pushed out.
as far as the low compression goes the crank seal will not effect that.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
Looks like you crank seals are in wrong
can you see 4 plastic tabs on the crank seal
I cant in the picture
If you cant then you have the inside one on the outside
Problem solved

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Actually you have no carbon buildup to speak of and no deposits at all on the head,that tells me you are indeed ingesting water somewhere,if its not running right thats why.Replace the o-rings anyway and back them up with a thin coat of 1104.

you could have dropped a sleeve.. use you fingernail to feel the top of the cyl to see if the sleeve is even w/ the jugs... it should be a perfectly machined surface w/ no lip..

you also could have bent a rod ingesting water, check them

Top Bottom