Other Proper winter battery maintainence

Winter is quickly approaching, and i've never found a straight answer to this question. Whats the proper winter storage method for our batteries? I always hear to put them on a trickle charger. However, past winters i've done this, only to find dead (unusable) batteries come spring, hit or miss. Last winter I disconnected the battery and left it in the ski, and this summer the battery was still kicking? With 4 skis and a motorcycle, I dont want to be replacing batteries come spring. So whats the "right" way to winterize our batteries?

I keep them at 65 to 75 degrees and put a battery tender on them. They still only last two summers

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I keep them at 65 to 75 degrees and put a battery tender on them. They still only last two summers

Good quality batteries last for years. Store them inside, don't let them freeze, don't discharge them to zero.

I usually put mine on a battery tender for a day every month or so to top them up, but don't leave the tender hooked up constantly.

I usually put mine on a battery tender for a day every month or so to top them up, but don't leave the tender hooked up constantly.

Maybe that was my problem? My tenders may not be smart enough to shut themselves off and it was wearing out the batteries. This year I'll remove all batteries and put them in the basement. Then i'll throw a tender on them every so often. I also read somewhere not to let them sit on bare concrete as that discharges them or something? So maybe set them on a piece of cardboard?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I have tried everything suggested above and I still find myself replacing batteries. Tried expensive batteries, tried cheap batteries. Tried cheap tenders, tried expensive chargers. Tried storing them in the house too.

I have resigned myself to the simple fact that batteries just don't last and I don't plan on spending any more money to further prove that point.

OCD Solutions

I even believed it was the cold canadian weather at one point but I have failed at least 6 batteries in the 4 years since I moved down to South Carolina so even that theory is blown away.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
I run interstate batt. in all my toys, powersport interstate batteries are made by yuasa. The batt. in my superjet is 3 years old and still has 380 CCA.

Every winter i put all my ski batteries in the shop and throw a smart charger on them once a month.

OCD Solutions

I actually had one Yuasa battery last several years. It came in my first SN and I have no idea where it came from. I have purchased a couple since and never reproduced the results.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
All I know is that my Jetworks batteries always lasted at least 3 years. They would break only when I screwed them up (over-charged)

5 batteries total, I put them all in one of our big coolers put them in the spare room and do a slow charge 8-10 hours @ 2A on the first of the month. I still have the original battery in the couch (stx12f yuasa) from when we bought it new in 06.

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Couch batteries always last longer than stand up batteries.... not sure why that is??? :brap: I've been pretty lucky with batteries, they usually go 3-4 years, but that is probably because I don't winterize, I just ride!

Ok, The way to store battery's is fully charged, at 25 deg c, in a cool dry place,A fully charged lead acid battery will sit at 12.7v and agm will be 13v exsept dekas will sit a little lower, Buy yourself a good microprossesor controlled charger If you are only charging powersport sized batterys I recommend the C-Tek MXS0.8 and if you would like to charge car battery's too the C-Tek MXS5.0, Once every few months run the recond mode and you should be fine, I run deka Etx9 to ext 14 sized batterys in all 4 0f my ski's and In 3 years only replaced 1 etx 12 that I bought second hand to start with....

Lead acid batteries self discharge about 1% a day, agm batteries about 1% a week (not including any draw)
It's not uncommon for me to see batteries less then 6 months old totally dead because they wernt used or where left unattended and maintained especially in powersport applications where they may be used for a very small portion of the year, The bigger the battery the better and the longer it will last between charges... an thats also why couch batterys usually last longer too, bigger charging systems and bigger batteries!

Quick Tips

The cold will have an affect on your batterys performance but heat will kill it
Never run your starting batterys lower then 12v, Cranking batteries are designed for short high energy bursts and recharged strait away via alt and
sulfation can form alot easier at 1/2 charge
Leave lanyard unplugged, Some cdi's will draw power with lanyard in
keep your electrolyte topped up (critical in ski's if you have a maintainable lead acid it will leak a little bit everytime you ski rolls over and will leave battery plates exposed Promoting sulfation)
Buy a properly sized battery for your aplication for this go by the cca rating of a battery (the higher the better and the less of a cycle the battery will have to go through to start your engine the longer it will last)
Buy a cheep multi meter and keep an eye on your batterys voltage

D-Roc

I forgot!
I had a deka that lasted 5 or 6 seasons. Store in a cool dry place and trickle charge once a month. Float mode on chargers will allow the battery to drain so it does not eat itself not being able to discharge. Just remove the charger once a month and then hook it back up. The light will go from solid green float mode to red charging mode. My shoria I just put in the drawer until spring.

Maybe that was my problem? My tenders may not be smart enough to shut themselves off and it was wearing out the batteries. This year I'll remove all batteries and put them in the basement. Then i'll throw a tender on them every so often. I also read somewhere not to let them sit on bare concrete as that discharges them or something? So maybe set them on a piece of cardboard?

NO! a piece of cardboard is NOT going to protect your battery. If anything, find a milk crate atleast to keep it off the ground. I have a row of milk crates, zip-tied together pushed against the wall under my work bench where i keep my batteries(out of the way) then like everyone is saying, (whenever i remember) i will throw the tender on and then take it off next time i walk past and see that it is fully charged.

I find that living in florida and having a 2 mil wetsuit is the best thing for battery winterization. No need to store the ski if you can use it year around.....don't hate, relocate.

Top Bottom