pump, midshaft and motor shimming questions

fishinrod

guerrilla steezin
Im just finishing up a winter rebuild and about to start putting the ski back together, my question was about shimming. The only shims were on the motor mounts. and since i cut 3 in off the hull and got some glass on the pump area and the height might be different, barely though. if there were no shims before is it necessary to add them now? can i just keep the same shims that were on the motor before even if everything including mid shaft came out?
thanks,

roddy

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
You need to re-shim everything - it's not a huge deal. Pump then midshaft then motor. Take your time and do it right, since there are some dire consequences to bad alignment.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
You can buy the OEM shims from most dealers - try Riva or Greater Yamaha if you are shopping online. They are very proud of them however, and charger a ridiculous amount ($7.50 motor, $11.50 pump). I believe someone also found some on McMaster Carr. It doesn't matter as long as they are about the right size (area) and are either aluminum or, ideally, stainless. You'll need a selection of different thicknesses to get the alignment right.

Top Bottom