FX-1 putting the superjet intake and pump into a fx1

I thought someone had done this earlier where they cut the bottom out of a superjet (intake to back of pump mount)and glassed it in to a fx1 or am I wrong. I was just thinking you would not need anything special if you had a extra pump or hull laying around and everything would be off the shelf so to speak.You would also benefit the intake size of the sj. Let me know what you think:thinkerg:

joe b

depth tester
I thought someone had done this earlier where they cut the bottom out of a superjet (intake to back of pump mount)and glassed it in to a fx1 or am I wrong. I was just thinking you would not need anything special if you had a extra pump or hull laying around and everything would be off the shelf so to speak.You would also benefit the intake size of the sj. Let me know what you think:thinkerg:

It would some work fitting the sj intake in a fx. Everything on the sj is wider. The flat area in front of the pump, the ride plate, the spacing of the chines are all wider. It can and probally has been done. I'd use the whole sj bottom but I like how they handle better. :cool:

Hogggman

Stock Sucks
I did it a little different on my buildoff boat. I took a little more hill billy approach. I just cut out the fx1 pump and intake section as small as I could get it and cut the sj section oversized. So you have plenty of material. I mounted mine on a stand and attached levels on everything to make sure everything was perfect. I wanted to be able to run everything sj so I didnt have to custom make any parts that way the variety is there. I Changed ride plates 3 times till I found something I liked. The hardest obstacle I ran into was on the bulkhead, when trying to put the sj section in the front intake grate inserts hit the midshaft inserts. I cut and groud the bulkhead fittings to make it work. I got pics on my other computer but it needs to go into the shop. Pm me if you got any more questions.

tom21

havin fun
Bonzai Bob did it without doing any glass work. I have done it his way and its pretty easy. I think they recommend using the 144 pump shoe but it works without changing it also. need to reweld the mount tabs on the liner and I flipped the ones on nozzle, a little clearancing and install it.

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
I did it a little different on my buildoff boat. I took a little more hill billy approach. I just cut out the fx1 pump and intake section as small as I could get it and cut the sj section oversized. So you have plenty of material. I mounted mine on a stand and attached levels on everything to make sure everything was perfect. I wanted to be able to run everything sj so I didnt have to custom make any parts that way the variety is there. I Changed ride plates 3 times till I found something I liked. The hardest obstacle I ran into was on the bulkhead, when trying to put the sj section in the front intake grate inserts hit the midshaft inserts. I cut and groud the bulkhead fittings to make it work. I got pics on my other computer but it needs to go into the shop. Pm me if you got any more questions.

Just curious, with your 144mm mod (BTW looks really good) how is the high speed handling? Can you hold it WFO and keep it together without getting tossed?

Bonzai Bob did it without doing any glass work. I have done it his way and its pretty easy. I think they recommend using the 144 pump shoe but it works without changing it also. need to reweld the mount tabs on the liner and I flipped the ones on nozzle, a little clearancing and install it.

The FX-1 I bought for my project had a SJ 144mm pump installed in it before. It wasn't modified to fit like Bonzai Bob's pumps, but the guy that tried it with the bored out FX pump shoe said it had some "barely ridable" bad cavitation. He also was utilizing the stock FX intake duct.

I would like to hear ride reports from you guys that are using SJ pump intake tracts too. Post up...

Hogggman

Stock Sucks
Yes and no. It is way more stable than a stock FX1. I have tubbies also which helps I did it all at once so I dont really know what made the most difference. It is not as stable as a sj at speed but it does ride a little flatter also it doesnt chine walk as bad. I am really happy with how it came out. I still like my sj better in surf though.

Flash-FX

Yes and no. It is way more stable than a stock FX1. I have tubbies also which helps I did it all at once so I dont really know what made the most difference. It is not as stable as a sj at speed but it does ride a little flatter also it doesnt chine walk as bad. I am really happy with how it came out. I still like my sj better in surf though.

Thanx for the feedback...It helps to get things sorted out.

SJ better in the surf?

KR

www.krlines.com

well no, the grate doesnt match at all. yes, you need the 144 pump shoe (obviously) but the front of the duct needs to be cut out and replaced with a superjet duct (two mounting inlets). I can post a picture soon...I am doing the modification now.

Flash-FX

Chris (from ATP Products) did one the cleanest FX-1/144mm conversions. Is this what you guys are talking about? Moving the front mount to allow a SJ grate to fit?
That was a really cool ski....wonder where it is now?

Attachments

• superjet pump mod 1.jpg
    superjet pump mod 1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 127
so, when doing a 144 conversion if the wear ring takes a :):):):)...youre SOL, right?

best done with a NEW wear ring, but everything else can be used parts?

my WDK boat has a 2" setback pump (aka SJ driveshaft as well)...Jeff said that solved the high speed handling problem

but on the flip side it makes the steering nozzle extremely vulnerable

KR

www.krlines.com
Chris (from ATP Products) did one the cleanest FX-1/144mm conversions. Is this what you guys are talking about? Moving the front mount to allow a SJ grate to fit?
That was a really cool ski....wonder where it is now?

The 3rd picture is what I was talking about. Thanks for that. The mounting inlets on mine were cut out from a square nose and then glassed in to my FX1.

AndyL

Grip it and Rip it
Do you think you can use the sj intake for the fx-1 by welding in a new bolt up plate and weld up the origional ones? Then that way you wont have to do any glass work?

KR

www.krlines.com
Do you think you can use the sj intake for the fx-1 by welding in a new bolt up plate and weld up the origional ones? Then that way you wont have to do any glass work?

Well I am not sure what you mean by that. There is nothing to weld onto. You could do it by welding a plate to the intake grate. (Have the plate aligning towards the pump shoe. and have that plate mount to the original mounts.) However, the front of the intake grate takes a lot of pressure and it wants to pull down. It may rip off (maybe). Either way, you still have to cut the front mounts of the inake grate forward about 3-4 inches or so. When you cut that area, you have exposed foam and you would have to glass over that, just like the above pictures.

Last edited:

AndyL

Grip it and Rip it
Would you re use the front mount? How would you bolt the new intake up in the front, epoxy in some studs? Thanks for your reply.

KR

www.krlines.com
Would you re use the front mount? How would you bolt the new intake up in the front, epoxy in some studs? Thanks for your reply.

I used the mounts off a square nose superjet. Not sure if the superjet/fx1 front mount of the intake grate are the same width across. The best say to know is take a superjet intake grate and just place it on your fx1 to see if the holes line up. If they do, then cut that sucker out and epoxy it 4 inches or so up. Just check out the above pics listed by flash fx.

Top Bottom