PWC Transporting Business

Fathom

WaveJunkie PR
Because this forum contains many of the people that could benefit from this type of service, I solicit your input to a business idea I have.

Fully understanding that general freight couriers can handle the task but hoping there was a possible niche for specialized PWC transporting, the initial question I have for you is, is there a market for this type of service?

Here are my thoughts in a nutshell (I have given a lot of thought and will expand on them when I get some feedback):

I’ve noticed several times where people who are selling skis have potential customers several hundred (sometimes thousands) miles away and it turns out to be a deal breaker when shipping costs come into play.

Assuming I am licensed and bonded, put up the capital for an enclosed dry van (old Ryder or U-haul) and outfit it with adjustable bunks or a flatbed trailer with same where I can haul as many as 4-6 skis in the stand-up and couch flavors, and offer the service of transporting skis from private parties and dealers alike, would you consider this type of service?

Another service provided “by a rider, for the rider” mission statement, if you will. I recognize that quality service is paramount.

I would consider initial advertising through the PWC forums, uship.com and word of mouth.

I spoke with a fellow rider today who loved the idea and even mentioned he would consider driving if something ever developed.

Let’s open this for discussion.

CoreyLKN

LKN Freestyle Militia
sounds like an awesome idea. I know that there has been a ton of skis i couldnt get becuase of high shipping prices and distance away from me. I dunno though, is there a big enought need for a service like this?

Trying to find at least four or five customers that are going to the same direction might be tough to find. I would also include possible dirtbike or any motocycle transport along with pwc.

It might work as a part time business. I think the best way to do it would be to make a run once a month moving no less than 8 skis bikes etc at what...average of 300 for delivery obviously varying by distance.
$2400 gross then you have expenses: Gas insurance taxes. figure at least $1400 for all of that. $1000 profit
Be prepared to deal with customers who don't have the money upon arrival, or those who are not on location when they say they will be and those who aren't happy with the ski even tho you have nothing to do with it. example: some guy buys a ski and when it arrives he notices a crack on the hood he didnt see when he bought it......he gets upset possibly blaming you and you struggle to get the money from him. Those things can be handled but keep them in mind.

Mike W

Infidel
After looking into hauling cars a few years ago the deal breaker was the insurance. For one you have to constantly stay moving to make any money, two the fuel cost will kill you and three insurance cost is through the roof. God forbid if you dont have anything to haul for a period of time to set you back. Then you have to factor in maintenance of the truck and trailer. In the end you might make more flipping burgers at McDonalds.

After looking into hauling cars a few years ago the deal breaker was the insurance. For one you have to constantly stay moving to make any money, two the fuel cost will kill you and three insurance cost is through the roof. God forbid if you dont have anything to haul for a period of time to set you back. Then you have to factor in maintenance of the truck and trailer. In the end you might make more flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Yeh the insurance is a problem because most companies have distance limits. Maybe if it was a regional business you could do ok.

T-bone

brraap....thats so 2002
youll need to transport more than just watercraft, you need a kind of "bread and butter" freight to move with them.

Like others have said, good idea but being able to make a profit will be tuff. Now if you were able to say fill one of the ski's with illegal contraband I'm sure you could make money. But one bad trip and your done. j/k :biggrin:

Top Bottom