Question about carb tuning

ShAkEdOwN

Armada Racing
I am running a Mikuni 44 BN w/ mariner manifold and westcoast pipe w/ jetsport manifold on a '90 550. I can't seem to get it tuned right, can anybody help me?:banghead:

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Have you went completely through the carb? Taken out the jets and checked to see if they are plugged or slightly plugged? Making sure the needle and seat are in good condtion? Cleaned basket filters? Good fuel pump diaphram?

If you have something wrong or worn out inside the carb, it will never tune right.
So you say you have a BN? You meaning a round pump or a SBN(square pump)?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
That Mikuni manual is for the SBN - the OP has the old style BN carb. They have little in common.

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
The key to tuning that carb is to have a good needle & seat. And to have a restrictor jet in the return line with a .040 hole drilled in it. Keep the restrictor as close to the exit on the carb as possible.

The next is to start tuning on the bottom & work your way up. There are 3 adj screws. The pilot & Idle adj are needed to be set first. then Low & Highs.................. I havn't tuned an old Round in a while, but if you take your time, you should be ok.

ski ya, Paul

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
ShAkEdOwN,
There was a restrictor originaly in the return line. I think it was a rev limiter or something like that. The sbn's have a built in restrictor. It allows the fuel pump to build pressure. I have seen a few sbn's that had the return nipple filled with solder or jb weld then drilled out. I'm not sure if thats kosher but it ran like a champ.

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
the round pump is not as efficent as the square ethier
so you normally find pop off has to be set lower
i used to have awestcoast reddy made one
i was glad to see it go ( in the bin)

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
yeah they should
i have had a r/b on a 650sx( my first ski)
i found them so hard to get right
but that was 14 years ago i am sure i would have more of a chance now
but when i put the s bn on it was alot easier

QJS

X-
Unlikely but I have just found a couple of the spacers we made up all those years ago, you can have them for free if you pay the postage I might even have some jetting written down in my notes.
Chris.

Top Bottom