rn hull chop opinion

fishinrod

guerrilla steezin
i've got a rn and im going to start defoaming and repairing some fiberglass. I wanted to cut about 3inch off the back. i ride pretty much freshwater a little bit of ocean. But Should i cut it angled, like 3 inchs from the bottom so the top is still even with the back? or like a vertical cut so there is a total of 3 inches cut off? are there any trade offs? is 3 inches too much, im 6'1'' 195lbs

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I've got a -2 straight cut and like it very much.
If you go angled, you need to figure out how to do the exhaust tube.
Also, you need to put in new rideplate inserts either way.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Unless you want to bolt the rideplate in with only the front two bolts, there is no way around this.

You remove the old inserts and reglass them into a new location.
And then you drill the rideplate so that it mounts.

CHOP it!!!! its super easy. you dont need any fiberglass skills at all to do this. do 3 inches at an angle and glass inside and out. pop the exhaust right out into the pump like a waveblaster.
IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6393.jpg

this one was cut -4 on the outer and -3 on the innner so it has a little more contouring look

That's a SN, you don't have to move the inserts.. I removed all the inserts and installed aluminum plates in place of them. Just epoxied and glassed in the aluminum plates from front to back of where the inserts would go, eliminating the need for perfection. Then when the ski was almost done I just put a rideplate up to it, drilled and tapped the four holes in the right spot.

insted of turning the exhuast into the pump, why not run it out the side. rear side exhaust wont fill your pump with air on tail stand tricks, not that people spend alot of time doing tail stand tricks.

I'm not a huge fan of my side exhaust and am thinking about switching to the pump cavity mainly because I think it would be quieter than conventional rear exhaust. I'd like to hear from someone who did it first though.

Top Bottom