Surfriding Ryan's Matrix Surf Build

RyanITV

Living on the lake!
With my wife's build going in the water today and my foot still healing, I need something to pass the time before I'm able to start jumping again.

Anyone that's seen me post or been here knows I'm a big fan of the Trinity hull. Stable, great quality and strong enough to do crazy damage to my foot and leg. :headbang:

I picked up another Matrix on eBay for a surf build. Plan is to strip it down, repaint (HoK LimeTime pearl and black, like the scheme on my blue Matrix) and set it up for surf.

photo.jpg

Not 100% sure on the engine... it'll either be a stock one with an ADA head or if I find the right deal on another XScream engine, I'd be willing to go as big as an 865.

Ryan

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Everyone that has ridden mine loves the SS865 combo. That hull should be a few pounds lighter than mine too. Some will say it's too much in the surf but most say it's perfect.

Last edited:

RyanITV

Living on the lake!
Cleaned the stickers off... need some brake cleaner to start getting the turf off.

cleaned-stickers-off.jpg

Wife talked colors today - thinks it'll look better and have stronger resale if we go red; so the plan is to match the black/blue scheme from my 1000 to this one, just using HoK Red II pearl.

HOK_PBC67.JPG

Ordered the same RRP handlepole setup that's on mine and her's today. Black tubes, top and bottom brackets get painted to match.

Ryan

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Cleaned the stickers off... need some brake cleaner to start getting the turf off.

View attachment 132731

Wife talked colors today - thinks it'll look better and have stronger resale if we go red; so the plan is to match the black/blue scheme from my 1000 to this one, just using HoK Red II pearl.

View attachment 132732

Ordered the same RRP handlepole setup that's on mine and her's today. Black tubes, top and bottom brackets get painted to match.

Ryan

OK, you sold me, that would be cool. Mirror image paint job!

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Invest in a Fein multitool or a $35 harbour freight knock off for removing turf. I stripped all mine in less than 10 minutes and was even able to reuse the bottom piece it came off so clean.

RyanITV

Living on the lake!
Go to lowes, You can buy one made by Dremel Tools for about $100.00 I picked one up last month.

Thanks for the tip - lunch run! Paint should be here in a few days; the hull is so clean that paint should be pretty quick (minimal prep). Now I just need to decide about Chase's virgin SS846 ...

Ryan

RyanITV

Living on the lake!
Thanks for the tips - I got the Dremel multi-tool at lunch... the thing worked wonders. Still a bit more than 10 minutes; I gotta find out what glue Jason used to glue the padding down!

turf-removed.jpg

RyanITV

Living on the lake!
Could.... not... resist... I think I'm getting Chase's new, unused SS846 engine off him for the build. Not sure on running the MSD TL, but I can always move that to Amanda's flatwater ski and use the EPIC I got for her in mine.

Thanks for the tips - I got the Dremel multi-tool at lunch... the thing worked wonders. Still a bit more than 10 minutes; I gotta find out what glue Jason used to glue the padding down!

View attachment 132804

Welwood contact cement - it's all in the prepwork. I did seal some of the edges with extra thin CA glue.

Were you able to save the stitched mat? If not, I included a template for the tray.

I look forward to reading about the build and seeing the final product.

Top Bottom