sbn44

what is the difference between the sbn44 and sb i 44 except the mounting bolt are the i better or just bigger outside and easy to bolt ,i have a set of sb i 44 that come from a gp1220r and i want to use that in my sxr1100

Precipitation Hardened
Mikuni i-body carbs were developed for better fuel economy and to satisfy US EPA regulations. The 40i carbs from the SXi Pro and SXR are actually a good carb. 44i and 46i carbs have a tendency to go lean at part-throttle and can cause lean seizures if you stay there long enough. Many say this from experience, Group-K included.

For an SXR 1100 build, I'd recommend either triple 40i from an SXR or three standard SBN 44 or 46. For a rec ski, 40i or standard 44 without question. If you can sell your 44is for decent money, you'd be better off with a different carb.

I had triple 40is on my SXR 1100 and they ripped out of the hole. Brad Clarke's old ski was breaking mid-60s with them. If your 1100 is still 1082cc (360.7cc per cylinder) then the 40i is a perfect match. You'd want a bigger carb if you're running a stroker and/or big bore, or if you're racing. If you're racing then triple SBN 46s are a great way to go and remain easy to tune throughout the season. Kiss your gas mileage goodbye though.

Shameless plug but I have a spare 40i sitting on my desk needing a home. It needs assembled but I have all of the internal parts and the correct throttle shaft to link it to an existing pair of SXR 40i carbs. PM me if you decide to go that route. My advice above holds true regardless.

Edit: fixed typo and carb is gone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom