SeaDoo vs Yamaha

2000 Seadoo GTX - 951 VS. 2002 Yamaha XLT 1200

• Total voters
I am trying to decide between two skis at same price.
Which one would you guys choose?

2000 Seadoo GTX - 951

2002 Yamaha XLT 1200
(Approx. 40hr after engine rebuilt in 2010)

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Well, this is a stand-up community and a lot of us don't like couches, so probably not the best place to ask that question.

I work on pwc's for a living and would stay away from the 951, most problem child motor Sea-Doo ever built.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I would try to find a 1997-1999 GP1200 or XL1200 non-power valve ski, or maybe a Kawi 1100 like the ZXI. The handling is better on those newer skis, but there is a reason you see lots of 1200 PV and 951 skis being sold with recently rebuilt motors. My wife loves her 99 GP1200, and I love not having to work on it.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I think Seadoo has much better handling hulls than Yamaha but I wouldn't touch another 951 so my vote goes to the Yamaha as well.

Not necessarily I had allot more fun on the sea poo gtx. Than I have on a blaster.

Probably because you can't even get on my B1! We had GSX Limited's by the way...

Stay the HELL away from the 951! They are glass if you don't really know what you are doing, which I'll admit I did (do) not!

I would try to find a 1997-1999 GP1200 or XL1200 non-power valve ski, or maybe a Kawi 1100 like the ZXI. The handling is better on those newer skis, but there is a reason you see lots of 1200 PV and 951 skis being sold with recently rebuilt motors. My wife loves her 99 GP1200, and I love not having to work on it.

you will have to do the reliability mods on the PV Yammi Motor but still hands down better then the 951
wave eater clips etc are a must check out greenhulk.net there is a lot of info there

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I owe sooooo much of my current 2 stroke knowledge to the 951. If I had started out riding Yamaha, I wouldn't even know a fraction of what I know now.

Edit: Only one vote for the Seadoo so far. I bet it was someone trying to sell one, lol.

Probably because you can't even get on my B1! We had GSX Limited's by the way...

Stay the HELL away from the 951! They are glass if you don't really know what you are doing, which I'll admit I did (do) not!

Like I said more fun on the sea poo. You know what I would like to change my vote to the sea doo.

The 951 is a nightmare from early carbureted models being prone to hydro-locking to fuel injection issues in the later models. When they hydro-lock, bits from the crank and pistons usually blow a giant hole through the cases.

Pick up the XLT, install Wave Eater clips and remove the catalytic converter. Buy a R&D D plate or the block off plate made by Jetworks and a 02 sensor simulator chip.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
If ur going with a Seadoo then get one with the 787 engine. Way less probs but the yami will be a easier maintenance ski. I totally agree on the Seadoo hull design. Much more agile

I owe sooooo much of my current 2 stroke knowledge to the 951. If I had started out riding Yamaha, I wouldn't even know a fraction of what I know now.

Edit: Only one vote for the Seadoo so far. I bet it was someone trying to sell one, lol.
That was my SeaDoo vote. I started with SeaDoos and still own a bunch. I was trying to sell my XPDI 951 a couple years ago, but gave up and made it the girl's/her friends' ski. I believe in the 787 over the 951, but still, once I replaced the fuel pump in the 951, it's been fine. Plus, I just don't like anything yamaha or kawi...

Top Bottom