Sealing Case halves with.....? What does everyone prefer?

cmeripper26

Ripper26
Putting motors back together i generally use 1211 to seal the case halves and dont use anything around the outer edge on the oil seals and have never had a problem. Does anybody use anything on the outside edge of the oil seals before sealing the case halves together....just curious cuz i always assemble my motors to manual spec.... and they never specify to use anything on the outside edge of the oil seals.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
A very thin film of 1211 on the mating surfaces and a little bit on the outer seal surfaces.

cmeripper26

Ripper26
I never put anything on the outer seal surface... i always go by manual specs and havent had a problem.... was just thinking of putting a little 1211 around the outer edge of the seals to see how that works.

Ram- man

just want to ride
1211 is good stuff i use that all the time and i have assembled motors both ways just to see if it would make a difference and it really doesnt

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
I use 1211, too. On a new engine I could see not putting sealant on the crank seals, but for a used engine I'd prefer to have some extra insurance that I've sealed up all worn or corroded mating surfaces.

If its meant for the job then thats all that matters. I like 1211 because its easy to use, yamabond is too stringy but does it matter. If you cases don't leak then its a done job.

Top Bottom