Sleep problems....

just thought I would ask if anyone has had problems sleeping caused by excessive phlegm. In the last 6 months it has gotten really bad to the point that I will wake up in the middle of the night and be choking and wheezing from the buildup. I also have bad watery eyes along w/ it. I can't sleep till I get it out and that is up to an hour or so. During the day I have zero problems and feel fine except for the drained feeling from waking up all the time. I am also driving my wife crazy clearing my throat and coughing all the time. I have tried expectorants and they don't seem to work well. I read something saying acid reflux could cause this and I am leaning toward that as the problem because I do get pretty bad heartburn/bloating when I lay down sometimes.. anyway I am just wondering if any of you guys/gals have had issues like this...

I take allergy meds and have a air purifier running all the time.. the allergy meds do nothing to help the phlegm problem.

Emm

skank
could it be from smoking? I had a friend that smoked everyday and he had the same problem.....hearing him in the mornings would gross me out.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Try not to eat after 7PM and see if that helps. Also, try sleeping with your upper body elevated from the waste up.

My life is 100% better since my sinus surgery, I do get effected by Pollen and such, but I can now treat that. Weird thing, last year I was somewhat sick, nasty cough. Think was, most people cough when they lay down, that is the only time I did not cough. The ENT speciallist were totally stumped.
I know and understand your frustrations.

could it be from smoking? I had a friend that smoked everyday and he had the same problem.....hearing him in the mornings would gross me out.

don't smoke cigs and pretty much stopped smoking weed due to concern. I may do a hit a day

Try not to eat after 7PM and see if that helps. Also, try sleeping with your upper body elevated from the waste up.

My life is 100% better since my sinus surgery, I do get effected by Pollen and such, but I can now treat that. Weird thing, last year I was somewhat sick, nasty cough. Think was, most people cough when they lay down, that is the only time I did not cough. The ENT speciallist were totally stumped.
I know and understand your frustrations.

thanks... I've tried the elevation, just need to stop eating late. I am thinking that is having an effect..

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter

x2 - I had similar issues when I smoked regularly.

Eh, nm....I know you don't smoke.

it's not a problem in the morning anyway, it happens at about 3:30 - 4am before I normally wake up.

It totally reminds me of the last day of a bronchitis/cold (when I smoked) and you be expelling all the funk from your lungs, but it's every night and the phlegm is clear not brown or green... sorry I know this is a gross subject

fyi - first cold I have had in years I got right after the freeride and it's been going on since then

Last edited:
IMO even a hit a day of a traditional J or Bowl or bong or whatever makes me clear my throat all day and even bugs me at night. A vapo leaves no smell in the house and no coughing/ clearing/ draining AT ALL!!

accbr

addicted
I have the same problem this time of year. I don't eat late, and just drink some water to help stay hydrated. I wake up around 6 a.m. to get ready for work every morning, and spend 10 minutes coughing stuff up on bad mornings. A can of Coke really helps cut the stuff out of your throat if you can drink that in the morning. The doc will prescribe steroids when it gets bad.

edit : I don't smoke either. Just allergy problems.

Last edited:

Layne

Addicted.
Yeah I get so bad that I'll wake up without the ability to breathe at all through my nose and know its been draining into my throat all night.

Make sure if you take allergy medicine, that it has a decongestant working in it. Something like "Zyrtec D" or similar ending in D, always much better stuff.

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
don't smoke cigs and pretty much stopped smoking weed due to concern. I may do a hit a day.

I would bet this is at the very least adding to the problem. I knew someone that had slowed to the same low, but consistent, level of use that hacked up green gummies every morning. Stopped smoking at all and after about a month it cleared up and has never happened again.

Last edited:
IMO even a hit a day of a traditional J or Bowl or bong or whatever makes me clear my throat all day and even bugs me at night. A vapo leaves no smell in the house and no coughing/ clearing/ draining AT ALL!!

I got a vaporizer and it helps for sure...

I have the same problem this time of year. I don't eat late, and just drink some water to help stay hydrated. I wake up around 6 a.m. to get ready for work every morning, and spend 10 minutes coughing stuff up on bad mornings. A can of Coke really helps cut the stuff out of your throat if you can drink that in the morning. The doc will prescribe steroids when it gets bad.

edit : I don't smoke either. Just allergy problems.

yeah, I was on predisnone(sp) steriods and that helped, but it came back after they wore off

Yeah I get so bad that I'll wake up without the ability to breathe at all through my nose and know its been draining into my throat all night.

I have water eyes and running nose too... allergies definitely have something to do w/ it

Make sure if you take allergy medicine, that it has a decongestant working in it. Something like "Zyrtec D" or similar ending in D, always much better stuff.

I just got some Zyrtec, hope it helps

Pollen is at an all time high this year, that could be part of the problem

yeah, it's calmed down here a bit but was wondering if that was part of it...

sounds to me like you have what is called superimposed infection on top of chroinic bronchitis....

basically..a case of chronic bronchoconstrition with a possible baterial/viral infection on top of it...............another term for it is an opportunistic infection

Jen had a case of chronic bronchits where she had horrible horrible coughing for 4-6 months...

with the eyes, a green or mucoid discharge will signify a bacterial infection......a clear discharge means virus or allergy

an infection like this will not show up under imaging....

Last edited:
I would bet this is at the very least adding to the problem. I knew someone that had slowed to the same low, but consistent, level of use that hacked up green gummies every morning. Stopped smoking at all and after about a month it cleared up and has never happened again.

I realize it's an irritant that's why I hardly smoke anymore. maybe like 1-2 hits a day and that's it... My phlegm is clear not brown/black like it would be from smoking and I had lung xrays to rule out emphysema/ COPD or anything like that.. My doc said my lungs were perfect. I told them I have smoked weed for 25 years and he was not surprised cause weed is 100% natural unlike cigarettes... I really don't think weed is the problem, just an irritant like I said. I'm gonna quit for a few days and see if it helps... I did this already and it didn't seem to help.

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
Sounds like acid reflux Try eating Sauerkraut, A buddy of mine had what sounds to be the same but he had to visit the hospital one night it got so bad, his grandma told him to eat sauerkraut once a week, and i guess it went away, try that

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Try a neti pot. Basically it is a little thing like a miniature teapot that you fill with warm water mixed with saline. You put it in one nostril, tilt your head and wait till it pours out the other nostril. Then do it vice-versa. I know it sounds nasty, but it works. Google it. You can get one at CVS or Walgreens for 12 bucks and it comes with 30 saline packets.

I was dying after my trip to New Smyrna, the oak pollen was killing me. I tried all sorts of meds and nothing helped. A friend told me about this little gem and it worked great.

Emm

skank
Try a neti pot. Basically it is a little thing like a miniature teapot that you fill with warm water mixed with saline. You put it in one nostril, tilt your head and wait till it pours out the other nostril. Then do it vice-versa. I know it sounds nasty, but it works. Google it. You can get one at CVS or Walgreens for 12 bucks and it comes with 30 saline packets.

I was dying after my trip to New Smyrna, the oak pollen was killing me. I tried all sorts of meds and nothing helped. A friend told me about this little gem and it worked great.

Agreed....LOVE my neti pot...works wonders.

Top Bottom