Super Jet Slop in steering

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
I have an SN with a -2 a/m pole running a new steering cable, but I seem to have a but of slop in the steering that I am trying to squeeze out. Anyone know how to fix this?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Where is the slop coming from? The turn plate rocking against the pole? The nozzle rocking at the pump? Or the cable wont adjust out right? Define slop.

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
The slop as far as I can tell is coming from the bar end of the steering system. I have roughly a half inch of play before it begins to steer in either direction. It's really bothersome. When I tighten it down it simply pulls the nozzle to the right and throws off the steering rather than just tighten to get rid of this play.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I am not familiar with the SN pole, however, it sounds like your cable mount might be the issue. The cable should be firmly mounted on both ends. The pump side is easy, because if it's not mounted right, you sink. However, the pole side is something you might have missed. The cable should be secured somewhere near the turn plate end, just onto the colored portion of the cable (The RN has a bracket that holds the end of the colored part using a groove in the end of the cable, while kawis have a clip that holds onto the actual colored part, not sure on RN). If you cable is not secured properly, then the steering simply pushes the cable until it binds against base of the pole or pulling until the tension is resolved (the slop is the cable moving inside of the pole). You need to ensure that when you move your steering, both metal ends of the cable move, but the colored (plastic wraped) portion of the cable doesn't move. It's okay if it moves inside of the hull, as long as the ends of the colored portion are firmly secured.

The other choice is that it is broken and popping out somewhere you can't see it. If it is securely mounted, you need to check it and possibly remove it to inspect for damage.

Very few other causes of slop will cause that much play, however, just to throw out things to check, verify the nozzle is mounted tightly and the ball joints have no play.

Is the cable bacwards? I've done it on a couch, and it threw it off, as you mention. Not sure on a SN, it might be same length on both ends.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
there is a "L" bracket below the chin pad which is pop riveted to the pole and retains the outer casing of the cable, make sure it does not wiggle.

Thanks. That's waht I was trying to describe but I didnt know what the SN used, so I was having a pretty hard time as you probably noticed. :cheers:

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
Finally had a chance to check it out - the L bracket is fully intact and does not wiggle nor does the cable and the cable is the correct direction. It's nothing major for slack but it just drives me nuts because it isn't full true. It basically feels like there is too much wire inside of the steering cable shell causing it to have some slack, but when I tighten it the jet nozzle turns. I'm going to mess with it some more tomorrow but any other ideas would be great.

Also, I have a rigged cap for the steering cable exit by the jet on the outside of the ski - the cap that holds the steering cable and also allows no water to get inside of the hull. It doesn't seem like it is coming from that but it's possible. Could that cause it to happen? Does anyone have a spare I can buy?

every single cable, new or used,stock or aftermarket, has slop. TBM makes zero slop cable ends and there were some produced back in the day, that do the same thing. the socket that slips over the ball can be adjusted with a set screw, at the turn plate and at the steering nozzle. thats the only play you are ever going to be able to adjust out. the rest of the slop is in the inner cable. if the inner cable is smaller than the outer cable housing by any significant amount, it lets the inner cable move in the housing before it actually pushes on the end where it attaches. this happens either because the cable is worn internally or it was produced with unfavorable tolerances. instead of buying the adjustable cable ends, i usually just drill and tap the socket and put a set screw and make the stock ends adjustable. i no longer do this or care about excess slop, since precise steering is not a factor in riding style or what i'm needing to do. CRANK THE BARS AND GAS IT!DSCF3796.jpg heres a buzzard butchered cable end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom